My *possibly* last Duocast build, the Final Radio Pirate

182julien44

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
PXL_20240102_160752130.jpg

This is another build that took way too long to complete. I drilled the enclosure’s holes maybe two or even three years ago, time goes on fast.

I took the wrong drilling template, that is why my pcb is crooked inside. I believe that I took the V2 drill template and bought the V3 PCB (or the other way around). I didn’t have the PCB on hand when I drilled the enclosure and I remember that I needed to finish this build fast… This was, at least, one and a half years ago! It needed to be completed fast because I started that project a long while ago and I wanted to get it off my halfway done PCB pile. Well, that enclosure stayed on the halfway done pedal shelf for another long while. Here’s the reason why: I always forgot to buy the right pots.

PXL_20240102_160804320.jpg

I really like that circuit. actually, it is my 9th Broadcast build. and I hope that this one will stay mine but I have another transformer for a 10th build just in casebut, I don't have another «Radio Pirate» decal so I would have to do another design. In total, I built 2 Simulcast and 7 Duocast. I love the flexibility of the Duocast. The toggle that goes from 9 to 27 Volts is my favorite feature. Once, I built a toggle-less Duocast because I read that the LT1054 chip would negatively affect the tone at 9 Volts but I couldn’t hear it when A/B with the same transistors. And honestly I’d rather have more versatility and 99% of «the perfect» tone then that said perfect tone.

More often than not, I use the 9 Volts settings on my guitar and the 27 Volts when I play bass. My MIJ Fender Mustang Bass with a bit of chorus through that pedal in my 1965 Fender Bassman in a EVM12L loaded cab is a godly tone. In fact, I use that pedal way, way more on bass then guitar. Don’t get me wrong, It sounds amazing and is incredibly versatile on guitar, especially fuzzed out and when it cleans up like a Fuzz Face, but it is my bass weapon of choice.

So here it is, my last (we’ll see about that) duocast build. To my fellow geeks, I don’t know what transistor I used. It was in the rangemaster gain range but it is unbranded. I wish I could tell you more about it but I can’t. Well yes, I bought it on Small Bear Electronics years and years ago and it sounds great in that pedal :)

Pardon my grammatical and spelling mistakes, French is my native language.
Thank you for reading!

C'est magnifique!

I've got the Simulcast, but your bass exploits with your Radio Pirate may push me to build a Duocast, too.

Back