Neurotron (Ring Stinger) sawtooth waveshape : low volume, no modulation.

eh là bas ma

Hello,

I built the Neurotron recently, from a musikding's kit.

Based on what i could listen in the utube demos, it sounds like everything is working on my build (VCO, LFO, etc) except the sawtooth waveshape.

According to Lovetone's original manual, Triangle waveshape should be lower in volume compared to the other waveshapes. It's not really the case on my build, Triangle works but the level is quite the same as the other waveshapes.

However, sawtooth waveshape is lower in volume, and i can't hear any effect. Drive, Timbre and Blend affect the signal, but not the other controls.
Looks like the LFO isn't working neither when VCO waveshape is set on sawtooth.

I tried to reflow the waveshape rotary switch pads (main board and sub-pcb) and all the suspicious pads i could find, but no luck so far.

I'd like to do some continuity tests or some audio probing to narrow it down, but i am a bit confused with the schematics :
Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 14-23-10 Neurotron Ring Modulator - Aion FX - neurotron_documentation...png

The most difficult and useful question for me is : what is the signal path when we are set on sawtooth waveshape ?

I am lost with this wave shaper schematic, the rotary switch routing is quite confusing for me...

Edit : surely the 4 waveshapes are B1, B2, B3 and B4... I wonder which one could be the sawtooth ?

Every observations and suggestions are welcome !

Last edited:
Lots to read there, but a couple of things I've found that may or may not be helpful...

It appears that the Sawtooth is not modulated by the LFO PWM as the other shapes are. From the OG Manual : "All the VCO waveforms change shape when PW modulated by the LFO, EXCEPT sawtooth (where subtle amplitude modulation will result instead)."

Based on this, I'm assuming that the sawtooth is waveform C, but honestly, this circuit is a bit beyond my skill set.

I agree it's very unclear without knowledge of how wave shapes are produced by circuits other than clipping--this circuit really brings out my ignorance of basic electronics.

If the switch numbers correspond to the a/b/c 1/2/3/4 designations [edit for clarity: it's a 3 pole/12 throw switch limited to 4 throws--the 3 poles correspond to a/b/c, in which it looks like b is the active selector and a and c are grounds (?), so if the switch designations 1, 2, 3, 4 correspond to the schematic designations of 1,2,3,4, ...] then sawtooth would be position 2. This is further correlated by looking at what's going on with position 4 which skips ahead and joins the d13-16 diode ring most directly, therefore making it most likely the sine wave, which would match the aion build docs.

But you could always shoot Aion a quick line

Last edited:
Back