New Build Day - Mini Zendrive + JHS 3 Series Fuzz!

coltonius

Yo. I really should come around more often; y'all keep me inspired!

Here's a pedal I finished up last night using a Zenith Mini PCB from GuitarPCB. It's been sitting in my parts bin for quite awhile, so I had Gear Ant make me a super sick enclosure and boxed it up!

Mods - OPA2604 and a 1M Gain pot (the OG Guitar Center Zendrive spec)

IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1090.jpg

Here's another recent build: JHS 3 Series Fuzz. Color me surprised! The Bias knob takes it from spitting gate to singing sustain, and it seems to be tuned for cutting through a mix. I'll have to test that theory this weekend.. I would call this fuzz a steal at $100, so the DIY version is even more of a deal.

Mods - filed the PCB sides down to allow clearance inside a 1590B enclosure

IMG_1091.jpg IMG_1092.jpg

(edited 04.21 to add gut shot & JHS 3 Series Fuzz)

Last edited:
Yo. I really should come around more often; y'all keep me inspired!

Here's a pedal I finished up last night using a Zenith Mini PCB from GuitarPCB. It's been sitting in my parts bin for quite awhile, so I had Gear Ant make me a super sick enclosure and boxed it up!

Mods - OPA2604 and a 1M Gain pot (the OG Guitar Center Zendrive spec)

View attachment 11155View attachment 11180

Here's another recent build: JHS 3 Series Fuzz. Color me surprised! The Bias knob takes it from spitting gate to singing sustain, and it seems to be tuned for cutting through a mix. I'll have to test that theory this weekend.. I would call this fuzz a steal at $100, so the DIY version is even more of a deal.

Mods - filed the PCB sides down to allow clearance inside a 1590B enclosure

View attachment 11181View attachment 11182

(edited 04.21 to add gut shot & JHS 3 Series Fuzz)
What is the 3 series Fuzz based on? Is it a silicon tone bender type circuit? Looks good.

What is the 3 series Fuzz based on? Is it a silicon tone bender type circuit? Looks good.
I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be based on any one fuzz in particular- but rather a mashup of vintage-style fuzzes. The first two gain stages look remarkably like a Fuzz Face, and the Bias knob has a cool double function: not only does it affect Q2's bias, but it affects how much signal is fed into Q3. This adds to the gated effect when the Bias is rolled back.

Back