Noob pedal tinkerer just joined

oldfuzzface

Hello - old dude new to building pedals.
Since I retired and moved into a condo, I had to find a new hobbie that didnt make a lot of noise or dust so here I am.

Lots of good stuff on this site and hopefully you all will bear with my ignorance of some of this. Maybe there is a section dedicated to noobs ?

Anyway, I've been breadboarding and soldering with success, but really dont understand some part of the schematics. I suppose I would have to upload a schematic and point to the area in question, but if theres a link or links that would help me out please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you in advance and happy building!

Welcome! @BuddytheReow has put A LOT of good info in the test kitchen forum. Especially since you are already breadboarding, you can jump right in to a lot of his circuit breakdowns.

Thank you for that!
Maybe I should have clarified, I understand 'most' of the symbols, its connecting them that sometimes gets me confused. Especially the pots and switches.
I've been starting out with easy circuits and following along with a breadboard example. I have been replacing components and learning how each component change makes the circuit react.

The difficult part is, at this point in the game, I dont know the right questions to ask. lol I will search through the info you directed me to.

Thanks again!

Are you asking for a "correct" way to breadboard something? I think I mentioned this in a 'tips and tricks' section, but there is no right or wrong way to breadboard something. It either works or doesnt work. The way i layout my breadboard builds can and most likely is completely different from how someone else does it.

The way you're approaching tinkering by substituting different values is a great way to learn and I still do that too.

Schematics can be a bit tricky to read in terms of pots. Pin 2 is a no brainer, but more times than you think I reverse pins 1 and 3 in error when breadboarding based on a schematic. But, that's an easy fix.

Are you asking for a "correct" way to breadboard something? I think I mentioned this in a 'tips and tricks' section, but there is no right or wrong way to breadboard something. It either works or doesnt work. The way i layout my breadboard builds can and most likely is completely different from how someone else does it.

The way you're approaching tinkering by substituting different values is a great way to learn and I still do that too.

Schematics can be a bit tricky to read in terms of pots. Pin 2 is a no brainer, but more times than you think I reverse pins 1 and 3 in error when breadboarding based on a schematic. But, that's an easy fix.
I really like using trim pots for breadboarding for cleanliness and simplicity but I think as buddy has mentioned you have to have a screwdriver handy.

Bienvenu!

In addition to the tips-sources already mentioned, Beavis Audio also has some great beginner tips including on breadboarding and AionFX has some good info on parts sourcing.

Yes, thank you. your guides are helpful! And thanks to all of you that posted !

I have been using Beavis Audio as a guide and built the FuzzFace. Sounds great after I swapped out a few components and biased it.

And yes - regarding the pot wiring, but also the input/output jacks. Thats what was giving me the most problems. The input/output jacks and volume pots do not show how to wire on the schematics, or are they? lol

I also haven't built a pedal yet with a tone pot, that should be interesting.

Regarding the fuzz face schematic. If the diagram of the breadboard showing the pots wired did not exist, I dont think I would have ever figured it out.

Thanks again!

Back