OC75 is this a fake?

Johnnyorange500

I’m in two minds about this oc75 from eBay. Is it real or fake? and is anyone able to tell from looking at these pictures and the markings to say otherwise. Are there any tell tale signs to look out for? For future purchases.

Cheers

Johnny

Attachments

• IMG_5206.jpeg
    IMG_5206.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5205.jpeg
    IMG_5205.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 42
I'm no expert on the accuracy of such stuff.

All I can say is that most of the professionals stopped trying to look for these sorts of things long ago. You want it to be true, you hope it can be true, maybe it is. More likely it's not. Even if it is, it's likely to have been tested and rejected by those who know.

Nicely put! Curiosity killed the cat!! Eh.. I'm going on a gut feeling there’s just something about the case that’s too clean. But like you said who knows? I’m no expert either.

Well........the specs you have are close to where they should be. As everyone always says, "Does it at least sound good?". If so, alright alright.

OC75 hfe range is 20-80. Leakage is all across the board with germanium, as you know.

Last edited:
Well........the specs you have are close to where the should be. As everyone always says, "Does it at least sound good?". If so, alright alright.
Soon find out! Yeah, defo agree. I’m just a sucker for these things. I like to know! I’m trying to work out the serial numbers but can’t work them out. Cheers

Soon find out! Yeah, defo agree. I’m just a sucker for these things. I like to know! I’m trying to work out the serial numbers but can’t work them out. Cheers
Who’s the seller? Lots of us here have bought germanium transistors off of eBay and can tell you if we’ve had positive or negative experiences with the seller. It’s also worth asking yourself if you really need an OC75 or if you need a transistor with a certain gain/leakage. It’s a lot easier and cheaper to find Soviet transistors that land in the right gain/leakage bucket than it is to find a western equivalent that hits the right gain/leakage bucket. Looking at what’s on eBay right now, you can get something like 40 Soviet MP21Ds, all of which are likely to work well in multiple classic fuzz circuits, for the price of one OC75 which may well be too leaky or have insufficient gain to work properly in any circuit. The Soviet stuff is mostly coming out of sealed boxes, the western stuff is mostly rejects that have been picked over by decades of pedal and radio builders and rejected by them for a reason.

I'm no expert on the accuracy of such stuff.

All I can say is that most of the professionals stopped trying to look for these sorts of things long ago. You want it to be true, you hope it can be true, maybe it is. More likely it's not. Even if it is, it's likely to have been tested and rejected by those who know.
There’s a difference between searching for a hoard for mass production and a handful for personal use though. :)

When I ordered a big lot of OC75 a few years back, it was from Retroamplis in Spain and they were PRIME examples for the MK II.

I took a chance on 20 at almost $10 a piece and quite literally made 6 prime sets for the MK II.

Unfortunately, their stock seems to have dried up.

I believe I flipped that investment of $200 for almost $300 after measuring out the sets, and that includes me keeping a prime set.

It looks real to me

What I can tell you is it was made in Southampton the 45th week of the year 1971

7145DG =
71 = 1971
45 = 45th week of the year
DG = Southampton

It looks real to me

What I can tell you is it was made in Southampton the 45th week of the year 1971

7145DG =
71 = 1971
45 = 45th week of the year
DG = Southampton

Cheers dude!! Mullards to my ears!!

Mullards where made in lots of different places Holland, France, Germany etc UK made ones are labelled made in Great Britain anything made anywhere in the then British empire will say British made

Lots of genuine Mullard transistors do not even have Mullard written on them yours doesn't say Mullard because it was made for them by Associated Semiconductors

These for example are OC44 simply labelled POIF made for the post office at Mitcham in the 40th week of 1969 as you can see

20230915_202752_copy_634x323.jpg

If there's a code on them there's a fair chance they're genuine

Mullards where made in lots of different places Holland, France, Germany etc UK made ones are labelled made in Great Britain anything made anywhere in the then British empire will say British made

Lots of genuine Mullard transistors do not even have Mullard written on them yours doesn't say Mullard because it was made for them by Associated Semiconductors

These for example are OC44 simply labelled POIF made for the post office at Mitcham in the 40th week of 1969 as you can see

View attachment 56510

If there's a code on them there's a fair chance they're genuine
Thanks for all the great info. Much appreciated. Cheers buddy. 👍🏻

Back