One-of-Four Generic Logic Switching

Cybercow

Well-known member
We've been wanting a 1-of-4 switching solution for our RMS X100 V3 pedal so the user could select any one of the four basic preamp Modes on this pedal. For this version of the RMS X100 V3 we wanted one stompswitch per mode option with no bypass switch.

Earlier this year, our esteemed team leader found this schematic from an old DIY forum post to work from . . . .
One_Of_Four_Switcher_Logic_Schematic.jpg
After trying this out on a breadboard, it was found wanting in a couple of points.
1) It has no switch-debounce and the logic did not always hold when a switch was selected.
2) Boot-up is inconsistent and does not always boot-up in the same logic state.

After futzing with it on the breadboard . . . .
Stomp_Per_Mode_Breadboard_CD4042_Checked.jpg
I was able to achieve solid switching action by adding a 100nF cap to each of the momentary-on switches pull-down resistors.
And a consistent boot-up default state was achieved by adding a clamping diode to one of the switches.

As for power supply, I found that this circuit works best at least +9V. Below 8 volts the logic outputs and LEDs begin to exhibit threshold operation. So, 9V seems to be ideal.

Here is the final schematic in generic format for anyone who wishes to pursue a similar solution. It can also be used for a 1-of-3 switching solution by omitting switch #4 - but leaving in tact the switch #4 pull-down & debounce cap.
1-of-4_Generic_Switching_Schematic_4042.png
Hope someone finds this useful.
 
Last edited:
Hi Cybercow,
Hello from Japan.
I saw your posts about the One-of-Four radio-button style switching circuit, and I’m planning to build a 4-loop guitar effects switcher based on this idea.
I would like to use four momentary footswitches, with only one switch active at a time — pressing one switch should automatically turn the other three off, like a radio-button system.
If possible, could you please share the Gerber files for the final improved version of your One-of-Four PCB, including the improvements for switch bouncing and stable power-up operation?
I would also really appreciate the latest schematic, BOM, and any build information you may have.
Thank you very much!
 
The schematic above is the latest and works. But here it is again . . .
SPM_One-of-Four_Switching_Schematic.png
And the BOM . . . .
SPM_One-of-Four_Switching_Schematic BOM.png

The Gerbers are HERE. (< clicking this link will just download the Gerbers zip file.)
I've no other recorded build notes for this project.
 
Hi Cybercow, I previously asked you about this circuit.
I have now built the latest Alternate Schematic version and it is almost complete.
The circuit works perfectly during normal operation. Once I press any of SW1–SW4, only one channel is selected at a time, and all four channels switch correctly. The LEDs, relays, and audio paths all work correctly.
The only problem is that the default boot-up state is inconsistent.
At power-up, I sometimes get:
CH1 only,
two or more channels selected simultaneously, or
no channel selected at all.
Interestingly, if I switch the power off and back on within about 5 seconds, the previously selected channel is restored very consistently. However, after the power has been off for a longer period, the initial state becomes unpredictable.
I have checked the Boot-Up Clamp wiring, including the polarity and connections of C5 (10µF), the orientation and connections of D5 (1N914), and the R6 (100kΩ) connection. D5 measures approximately 0.552V forward and OL in reverse using the diode-test mode.
With the circuit powered off for a sufficient period, I also measured resistance from the D inputs to ground. D1 measures approximately 49–49.5kΩ, while D2–D4 measure approximately 100kΩ. This seems consistent with the schematic, since the two 100kΩ paths on the D1/Boot-Up Clamp section appear in parallel.
I have also tried different 9V power supplies and the behaviour is unchanged.
I am still considering the possibility of a wiring or soldering mistake on my build. I made the PCB very small, so the construction is quite dense.
From these symptoms, is there any particular part of the circuit you would recommend checking, or any specific voltage/resistance measurements around the Boot-Up Clamp that would help diagnose the problem?
 
Back
Top