Oscilloscope

Mourguitars

Im looking to buy a Oscilloscope 2 channel with a signal generator like the one in the video below

Been looking on Amazon , kinda confused so many models but they sell a Signal Gen separate for like a $100 bucks

Is that the way to go ? Also in the pics on Amazon they have a EU plug, do i use a standard plug with it ?

Nothing to fancy but something to put on the bench to do my first amp build

Mike

It's more about your specific needs. I gather from your recent posts you are working on a JCM800?
Someone like @HamishR or @jjjimi84 or several others.

I currently use a HANTEK 2D72. I think it was like $160. Check the specs vs. what you are looking to achieve.

Now enjoy this instrumental of "Yesterday" while you wait.......

It's more about your specific needs. I gather from your recent posts you are working on a JCM800?
Someone like @HamishR or @jjjimi84 or several others.

I currently use a HANTEK 2D72. I think it was like $160. Check the specs vs. what you are looking to achieve.

Now enjoy this instrumental of "Yesterday" while you wait.......

Thanks ! that looks like a nice unit but i need something with a bigger screen for the bench...have old sun burnt eyes at 58...lol youth is king so stay young !

Yes , im going to add a loop to my 800 and going to build a Modded 800 via a kit in the coming months as soon as stuff starts shipping again

Mike

Understood. I'm 60, and also wouldn't mind a bigger screen. Maybe a USB oscilloscope? I'll read along and maybe we'll both get some groovy tips.

Edit: btw the HANTEK has a USB port and software to emulate the screen on a laptop, but the bandwidth is too slow for my taste.

Also, nice to meet you Mike, I'm Tim.

Last edited:
I bought a cheap digital oscilloscope from Amazon without even a case. Not sure it has a signal generator (probably not) and if I power it with a wall adapter it seems to pick up 60Hz from the outlet :’(

I bought a cheap digital oscilloscope from Amazon without even a case. Not sure it has a signal generator (probably not) and if I power it with a wall adapter it seems to pick up 60Hz from the outlet :’(
Have you tried another outlet to test if it just your wiring? Maybe it's your probe..

There's some humliminator projects kicking around the Web; maybe one can be adapted?

I'd also recommend fabbing a housing for your scope; I had a transistor tester that I tested to see if it even worked (a dirt-cheapo naked unit) and managed to brick it before I got to use it properly in anger on transistors. Maybe the hum goes away once the scope is shielded?

Mind, lots of talented people have all sorts of exposed unhoused equipment on their benches without any problems.

Here is a noob question for you guys with scopes. at what point in this hobby would I need one? haven’t got there yet, but I’m also about to try my hand at breadboarding and modifying circuits. Any recommendations for reading or Vids on basic need and use of a scope in this arena?

There are a bunch of videos out there on YouTube. I would just do a search of How to use an Oscilloscope.

Uncle Doug

Reactions: fig
Back