Overdrive/Distortion that separates the signal into separate frequencies before clipping?

cdwillis

I could have sworn I saw someone mention a pedal that separated the input into three separate frequency bands that got clipped separately then mixed back together. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I had a similar idea tonight while doodling around in my notebook.

I could have sworn I saw someone mention a pedal that separated the input into three separate frequency bands that got clipped separately then mixed back together. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I had a similar idea tonight while doodling around in my notebook.
VFE Triumvirate probably.

There’s a lot of multi-band distortions, but the triumvirate is probably what you saw mentioned here.

Yes! Thank you. That was the one. This is what I doodled up. Could use the extra op amp for some kind of tone control after the three band drive section.

Attachments

• tri sonic overdrive.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 11
In addition to the VFE, you could also look into Zorg Effects' Glorious Basstar.

IIRC, someone was doing up a PCB for the Penny Farthing (DOD Boneshaker), but maybe not?

There’s also the Source Audio Ultrawave, which offers 2 to 10 bands of separation, and many ways to distort them. Obviously, not a pedal that will be cloned.

This looks awesome. What could be cool it to add a pot/trim to each pair of diodes in the op amp loops to control how much that frequency range is clipped. Like that the 6k8 does in the loop of a blues breaker style pedal.

Back