Panelizing and having break-off parts produced.

KR Sound

Does anyone know how to panelize for production with JLCPCB? I’d like to do some breakout boards and combos like these guys. Seems like it would save a few bucks here and there by combing smaller boards together.

IMG_9391.jpeg

Mouse bites to connect the boards together (just small drill holes in a row). Sometimes it can be cost saving but JLPCB does charge extra for it.

BTW, on my last order JLPCB charged me sales tax which is a first. Don't know what's going on with that.

Mouse bites to connect the boards together (just small drill holes in a row). Sometimes it can be cost saving but JLPCB does charge extra for it.

BTW, on my last order JLPCB charged me sales tax which is a first. Don't know what's going on with that.
Right on. I’ll have to see what the diff would be to have 20 small breakouts vs a 5x4 panel.

Elecrow once charged me extra for 2 different projects in one gerber file. The same as in your example. Main board + 3pdt. The price increase is greater than for 2 separate files. According to the online jlcpcb price calculator, the increase is also high for 2 projects in one gerber.

Things have changed a bit since they got new shareholders. (Was anyone else here contacted to participate in their yearly financial audit?)

You have to upload your state sales tax exemption form (ST-5) here:

Last edited:
With JLCPCB it usually isn't cost effective to panelize multiples of the same PCB, especially considering you'll have to break them apart and you're left with rough edges (if you've ever gotten FR-4 splinters you know).

I panelize 3PDT breakout boards and small things like that because it makes it easier to count and ship multiples. Getting a box of 10000 individual 3PDT breakout boards can be ... fun.

If you do panelize multiples of the same layout you can usually avoid the charge by ordering 20 or more panels, although at some threshold there is a surcharge for "excessive number of slots" if you have any non-round holes. Regardless of how many are in the panel it is still considered a single design as long as they are all exactly the same.

For something that ships as a set like the Kliche Mini above, I panelize for convenience, because otherwise I will forget your breakout board. :ROFLMAO:
These do cost a little extra but it makes it much easier to ship (and keep up with) something that requires multiple parts.

I hand draw those panels. There are programs that can automate the process but I was never happy with the results and I wanted the surrounding frame to make them easier to ship. It's a bit of an involved process but I think the end result is worth it.

Last edited:
With JLCPCB it usually isn't cost effective to panelize multiples of the same PCB, especially considering you'll have to break them apart and you're left with rough edges (if you've ever gotten FR-4 splinters you know).

I panelize 3PDT breakout boards and small things like that because it makes it easier to count and ship multiples. Getting a box of 10000 individual 3PDT breakout boards can be ... fun.

If you do panelize multiples of the same layout you can usually avoid the charge by ordering 20 or more panels, although at some threshold there is a surcharge for "excessive number of slots" if you have any non-round holes. Regardless of how many are in the panel it is still considered a single design as long as they are all exactly the same.

For something that ships as a set like the Kliche Mini above, I panelize for convenience, because otherwise I will forget your breakout board. :ROFLMAO:
These do cost a little extra but it makes it much easier to ship (and keep up with) something that requires multiple parts.

I hand draw those panels. There are programs that can automate the process but I was never happy with the results and I wanted the surrounding frame to make them easier to ship. It's a bit of an involved process but I think the end result is worth it.
Right on- that clear things up a bit. I would think that with the volumes you produce they charge by total area? I’m thinking more about my $2 special for 5 and making panels to save a few bucks.

I know KiCad has some scripts available to panelize, but I haven’t checked them out. I might experiment with a few ideas for small runs.

If you use mouse bites I think you should be OK.

If you use v-scoring they'll hit you with a surcharge for less than 20 pieces.
Is there a standard size and spacing for them?

Never mind- there’s lots of info out there

There are a lot of different ways to do breaktabs.

I'll send you the dimensions for mine when I'm back at my computer. I created a breaktab component in DipTrace with the perforations and copper pour keepouts defined. I just drop them where I need them and then draw the board outline to accommodate.

They've been charging the PayPal fee for as long as I can remember.

The sales tax just started within the past month or two.

It's odd. I did two-piece boost boards and didn't get dinged, then I did a ruby amp board with a break-off section for the toob socket and got a stern email about the surcharge.

The dual boost boards shared a ground plane, somehow, so IDK if that was the thing that didn't make them look twiceor what—don't ask, I was dumb and could figure out how to do separate ground planes in Eagle. I'm still dumb now, but I was dumb then, too.

They introduced the sales tax for EU because they had to, maybe they extended it to the US as well just to simplify processes?

Back