Paragon Mini

DAJE

Worked first time, no troubleshooting required. Unlike my last build.

I'm very happy with how this one turned out sonically, and I like the visuals too despite them being a bit, er, lurid. I wanted to evoke the KoT in a subtle way, and to follow the original's LED colour scheme. And then I decided to match the knob colours to the corresponding LEDs. And now it's, well, lurid. But I'm OK with that.

I did have a look around for mojo diodes but I couldn't find any for a reasonable cost so I just went with 4 x 1N914s and 8 x 1N4148s. Or maybe the other way around. I checked the forward voltages and they're the same thing as far as I can tell.

The only mod I made was swapping the gain pots for C250Ks, which work really well. They go from clean to distortion, and there's a lot of useful variety throughout the range.

How does it sound? Very nice. I messed around with the trimmers and DIP switches a fair bit but I'm going with factory standard (yellow = boost, red = OD) for now. The treble trimmers are at about 35% - there's plenty of toppy crispness in this pedal, but it's not unpleasant. It feels like it would cut through a mix pretty well without being too ice-picky.

I did a shootout with various other ODs etc. Can get pretty close to the Nobleman and the Kliché, but it retains its own character. Cleans up pretty well and responds to dynamics well too.

I was a bit unconvinced by the two-in-one thing which seemed a bit gimmicky, but having tried it I now get it. And I like it. Two ODs in one pedal. Cool.

Attachments

• PA1.jpg
    PA1.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PA2.jpg
    PA2.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 23
  • PA3.jpg
    PA3.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 23
Back