Parenthesis Fuzz V2: Octave only with Distortion On?

Slurp

Sanity check please!

When I was testing out my Parenthesis Fuzz V2, I initially thought something was wrong with it because the Octave effect was always bypassing the signal when Distortion was off. Then I realized that when Distortion was engaged, the Octave worked perfectly fine.

I looked over the schematic and it does seem that the Distortion In must pass through the Octave section before reaching the Distortion section, which confirms what I am experiencing.

Is my analysis correct, and you can only use Octave when Distortion is on? I also realized that the original lifepedal only had Distortion and Boost switches, so this might have actually been the design intention for extra Octave 3PDT... but I hope someone can tell me that I am wrong and that I could use the Octave effect independent of the Distortion :) I just can't find any glaring errors in my build at the moment.

Last edited:
In the one I built, the octave seems to require the distortion to be on. The octave circuit needs something to "bite into".

Here's how I wired mine . . . . .
LifePedal_Wired_Tested_01.jpg

In the one I built, the octave seems to require the distortion to be on. The octave circuit needs something to "bite into".

Here's how I wired mine . . . . .
View attachment 14317
Ahh, so it was as I thought. Appreciate it, thanks for confirming that I can't use the octave circuit without distortion being on.

Btw what is that trim pot for? And did you use surface mount electrolytics? Pretty sick, nice build

Ahh, so it was as I thought. Appreciate it, thanks for confirming that I can't use the octave circuit without distortion being on.

Btw what is that trim pot for? And did you use surface mount electrolytics? Pretty sick, nice build
The trimpot was for futzing with a sort of Reutz mod (R20). And yes, I went with surface-mount electrolytic caps so it would all fit nicely into a low-profile 1590XX enclosure. And ultimately I yanked the 741 and replaced it with a genuine 308.

And for grins, here's the finished pedal. . . .
LifePedal_Done_02.jpg

Back