Pauper po Tone BAS33's!

EZS

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Running out of enclosures, jacks, and other things, I was able to complete my Pauper pcb. I stocked a few green globs for kicks to hear any differences. Im a fan now but they are larger and fitting them can be tight. Theres a 1uf box space but its small. No box cap will fit unless mount it underneath the board. I used a tantalum in that place for space saving. Lower Left of PCB. Its the Mid Lift cap. I used MAS33 magic diodes suggested by @SillyOctpuss, great call! 1st impression? Trying to find unity, Level need to be at 1:30pm. just past noon. Internal dips: I liked them both on and trimmer also at 1:30pm. I set the gain at 10:30 with toggle on OD.
I set this up aside a Morning Glory which I like, recent Cobalt Driver build and Pauper. The Cobalt BD-2 is much more compressed of the 3, so off it goes. Between the Morning Glory and Pauper, setting them up is different. But in the end I find the Pauper to be just a touch more articulate and transients shine a bit more. Its a win. Its a subtle OD with a lot of options which may get you sidetracked. But if you know what you want, you can find it within 10 min.
20230916_155459.jpg 20230916_141528.jpg

Last edited:
I recant my settings! Both DIP switchs off! That mid lift is actually a type of fat boost when engaged. Parallels a 1uf on a .01uf. I find it too much. Maybe half would be great. The turbo parallels a 10k on 10k into next gain stage. I find it too much too. Trim pot down to 10;30 or 1/3rd for hair of sparkle with these settings and you have a great OD.

Band Setting Review: I had this side by side with my Cobalt Driver which I have been playing more of. Between these two playing live, I kept choosing the Pauper. Its has more clarity and organic definition, be it the diodes or the circuit itself. Im using the dist toggle and gain at noon. Internal dip switchs off and trimmer 1/3 way up. I can see why this is popular. Great OD.

Back