Pauper (Prince of Tone)

MattG

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
I finished up my Pauper build this weekend. I built exactly per the build doc, with only a few minor substitutions: film caps instead of electrolytic when possible, and I used BA282 diodes. The bypass board is my custom microcontroller relay bypass. The enclosure is StompBoxParts 125B Pro in "Auqua Vein". It's a lightly textured finished (you might call it "hammered"). I use a no-film waterslide decal, and I was worried about how it would transfer to the textured finish, but turned out as good as any of my waterslide decals!

There's a couple massively over-large film caps in there: I always consider it a win when I have room to use these big components in my inventory!

Overall build was unremarkable. It didn't work on first power on - turns out I wired the tip and sleeve connections of the input/output jacks backwards (sadly, not the first time I've done that). Easily fixed, works fine now.

I think I labeled the od/boost/dist switch backwards. To my ears, "dist" sounds like I would expect "od" to sound and vice-versa. Oh well.

The only thing that might be an issue - the level knob needs to be well past noon for unity gain, and needs to land around 3:00 for the slight boost above unity I like for my overdrives. But this is consistent with the OG Bluesbreakers I've played with, so maybe it's to be expected. (And I know it's not uncommon for other BB derived circuits, e.g. Snouse Blackbox or JHS Morning Glory to graft another transistor to the end of the circuit to offer a bit more volume.)

I have one of those cheap DemonFX King of Tone clones. I never played the real thing, but I liked what I heard from the cheapo clone. I haven't put it side-by-side with my Pauper build yet, but, at least going from aural memory, it's pretty close. I don't think I can add anything to the discussion that hasn't already been said about this circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_7240.jpg
    IMG_7240.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7237.jpg
    IMG_7237.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7238.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7239.jpg
    IMG_7239.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 59
I'm using the Sunnyscopa laser printer no-film waterslide decals. At the time I bought mine, you had to buy them direct from Korea (surprisingly fast but predictably expensive shipping). I think they are now available domestically in the States, e.g. from Amazon.

Back