Percolator 2N404 help

ninemag

I’m getting parts to getter to build a couple percolation station’s- I got a batch of NOS 1972-73 Texas Instruments 2N404 not (A)... all tested hfe in the mid 200’s. Will these be cool, or should o really get the A’s? Any info or advice as to tone or performance issues/ differences would be helpful.
thanks!!!

Install sockets, try whatever you have. Part number is not important. Q1 needs to PNP germanium, Q2 needs to be NPN silicon. In that circuit, lower HFE is better. D1 & D2 can be whatever you have on hand. Good luck!

Thank you for the info and advice- greatly appreciated. I have a bunch of the single pin snappable sockets- will those work? I’m gonna breadboard the thing until I iron it out, but I’d still to socket them on a board.

Yes, those will work. Breadboarding is a good idea. Consider tweaking R1 and/or R2 for best sound. Higher HFE requires higher resistance.

I’ve read one of the original tested 99hfe for the 2n404 and the hFE for the 2n3565 is 199hfe...
I’ve made a few with around those specs and they came out good...

What's been said here has worked for my double build (one for me, one for pal).

I had to trial a few different PNP/NPN combos until I settled on something I liked. Small Bear had a smattering of different transistors, so I snagged a handful just to play around with it. Some worked better than others, for sure! Socketing saved the builds!

Is like to order a bunch of Silicon transistors to try out- do you guys mind giving me a list of what I should grab? Sorry for all the questions lol

For 2N I’ve got 5087,5088, 5089,2222,2222metalcap, 3903,3994,3906....
What else would be useful to have around?

Back