Please help me making a germanium tone bender mk1.5

funky.monkey

New member
16294.png 16318.jpg 16319.jpg


Hi👋. Recently I got my self this good looking pnp germanium transistor. Actually this isn't the first time I make this fuzz topology. But I have problems with this transistors ( GC121 & MP41 ).
This are the parameters of hfe & leakage:
GC121 : hfe=130 leakage=535ua
MP41 : hfe=150 leakage=160ua
I made the circuit on the bread board but, it isn't sound like a fuzz pedal. Actually it's sound very smoother than a fuzz pedal.
 

Attachments

  • 16294.png
    16294.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
- show us the breadboard build
- post your voltage readings (particularly Q1c & Q2c)
Actually I don't have access to the workshop at the moment. I used multiturns instead of collector resistors for both transistors.

This are the collectors voltages:
Q1 = 0.7v
Q2 = 4.5v

Am I have to measure voltages on the other points?
 
Actually I don't have access to the workshop at the moment. I used multiturns instead of collector resistors for both transistors.

This are the collectors voltages:
Q1 = 0.7v
Q2 = 4.5v

Am I have to measure voltages on the other points?
Your Q2 collector voltage is too low. The Tone Bender Mk. 1.5 isn’t biased like a fuzz face, even though it follows the same topography. Assuming that VCC=9v, you want Q2 to have a collector voltage somewhere in the 6.5-8v range; increase that by a fraction of a volt if VCC is higher. Adjust Q1’s collector resistor or roll transistors for Q1. More leakage in Q1 will raise the collector voltage of Q2.
 
Back
Top