Pot and kettle static/crackling issue.

Drayve85

Alrighty! So… I ordered a pot and kettle a month or so ago, and built it up. It had a lot of ‘gremlins’ for some reason, user error I know!, but I decided to try a vero board build cuz I’ve had better luck with them sometimes. That build worked, for the most part. I had/have issues finding the right JFET combo, which the vero has trimpots to make it easier. But there was ALWAYS an intermittent, random crackly staticky noise that I haven’t been able to pinpoint. First I thought it was the sockets the trannies were in, that wasn’t it. Then I thought it might be a cable, that wasn’t it. I though about pedal order, so I tried it in different positions along with it being by itself. Nope. I’ve even made a second vero build with the same issues. I have another pcb coming next week, so I’m hoping that will give better results. I have some high quality components on the way too. Idk if it could be a cap, and if so, which one. The solder joints have all been reflowed a few times over. I’ll try to get pics sometime soon. Has anyone ever had an issue like this where the crackling comes and goes randomly? And, if so did you figure out the problem. And, does anyone have any idea of what it could be?? I know we like pics on here, but the pedal ‘works’ and sounds good, apart from that noise. I’m just looking for some ‘anecdotal’ info rn, until I can get some good photos. Thanks in advance.

P.S. here is a sound clip of the godforsaken noise.

I’ve had it with both vero builds, and I believe that it was there with the pcb, because I think that was the reason that I was working on it so much, and unfortunately, ruined some pads. That’s one of the reasons I did the vero. So yeah, it’s been there with all three. No, the other pedals are fine, it’s just with this one. It’s a real frustrating issue!lol

I’m using an MLCC cap for the 10 pf, and the other ‘pf’ spots, I wonder if that could cause that, and that’s why snouse uses the polystyrene?! At least I think it’s for the 10pf spot.

Hey, haven't posted here in a long while, but saw this and thought I'd share my experience. Hopefully this helps.

I am fairly certain your issue is that you are using trim pots to bias the JFETS. I'd measure the value and replace it with a resistor. I had this exact same issue on one of my designs that used a JFET. Some builds were totally fine. But others sounded like you poured yourself a bowl of rice crispies. I spent a long time debugging and finally swapped out the trimmer for a fixed resistor and have had no problems since. I had heard trimmers can be noisy. Smarter people than I could probably tell you why. But give that a shot.

Why can’t I upload a video from my phone?!?! This is crazy! I just uploaded it to YouTube. It uploaded right up! This will be easier than the google drive link.

So I took out the trimpots, and put in resistors with the respective readings from the trims, and so far *fingers crossed* the pedal has been working great, no static/crackling. So I believ it was the trimpots. I wonder if it’s because they are the ‘open’ kind ya get from Tayda and maybe trimpots like the sealed Bourns 3611P’s (I think that’s the model number) or something like that, wouldn’t cause the noise. Cuz the presence trims in a KoT don’t seem to make that noise. Unless it has to do with the trimpot in conjunction with a JFET. Idk, I just hope it stays “fixed”! Thank you to all the people who helped me!!!

Back