Pot orientation

Rpschultz13

Hi, I've designed a circuit and am a bit confused on some of my pot wiring. For instance, the below is the gain knob on a Fishman Loudbox mini. I I take that circuit and put it in a pedal, and the pot goes on the underside of the board, won't the knob be backwards?

1698795339540.png

Here's the same circuit in Eagle, notice the arrow going left-right. What does that mean?

1698795457646.png

And in LT Spice, I know this is wired correctly because the output increases... but I don't understand why.

1698795512051.png

When you design the circuit board, you just put the component on the under side and it flips the connections appropriately. I believe you want pins 2&3 together and not 1&2 for a gain pot like this. Below is how it looks in the software I use to design my PCBs. Pin 1 is on the right side here, because its mounted on the under side(making it a green silkscreen on my software), and 2&3 are connected so as I turn it clockwise resistance increases.
edit: forgot to add, I believe the arrow indicates clockwise rotation, not all symbols for pots have this, some just have a dot marking pin 1 or nothing and you have to infer.
1698812511906.png

Last edited:
Ah. So I figured out to MIRROR the components on the PCB layout. Cool. Thanks for the tip. And I also think you're right that I had it backwards on the schematic... so it would have worked (both backwards) but the better way is to have it like this:

1698853246885.png

Then mirrored in PCB layout. Notice the writing is backwards for the pot. Make sense?

1698853309070.png

Back