Potentiometers

P51994

In the PACIFIER board , there are three W100K
Are they different from a B100K potentiometer ?
Thanks

From left to middle it's reverse audio, from middle to right it's audio, making the middle portion of the taper effectively linear. You could replace it with a linear (B) potentiometer, but the usefull ranges on either side will be limited to a small region on the ends.

I remember reading somewhere that you can get somewhat close by taking a linear potentiometer and putting two resistors from the outer legs to the center leg, but I can't recall the details.

I remember reading somewhere that you can get somewhat close by taking a linear potentiometer and putting two resistors from the outer legs to the center leg, but I can't recall the details.
Actually, that has just the opposite effect. The purpose of the W taper is to make the resistance change slowly at the ends and faster in the middle of rotation. Bridging resistors from the end terminals to the wiper will make the resistance change more slowly in the middle and have little effect at the ends. If you can give up a little range at the ends, then you would be better off adding resistors in series at the ends in order to make the effective resistance change more slowly at the ends of the rotation.

Back