Powder Blue

giovanni

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This one was a pleasant surprise for me. I don’t remember why I bought this board, I probably watched some demo and got interested. Anyways, I do like TS style pedals but I had never tried a Timmy, so I wasn’t sure what to expect (according to @MichaelW this is a modified Timmy?). But I have to say I really enjoy playing this pedal. It’s not overly nasal like a TS which sometimes sounds a bit too gimmicky to me and there is plenty of bottom end which can be useful. It sounds great with my S500 into my TK Imperial. Very nice and open sound (I only tried the transparent setting so far).

Now to the build: this went all pretty smoothly until I got to those damn 1.5uF caps. I considered buying them from Tayda but at $.70 a pop that seemed a bit dumb, so I eventually made two copulating sets like others on the forum and I’m never looking back. The board had been sitting in my cabinet for months before I finally decided to put the caps in and box it up.

Next, the artwork. I didn’t spend too much time on this one. Usually I get option paralysis and I never know how to name the pedals. This time I was inspired by @MichaelW description of this pedal (a modified Timmy that doesn’t sound like a Timmy) which prompted the “don’t call me Timmy” name. I thought it was funny enough to keep it. I picked a simple block font inspired by the original. It looks good enough although the laser engraving gets a bit blurry with such small font size (size 10!). Finally for the faceplate I used a sample sent to me by Rowmark. It’s their LaserMax material (two color red on white acrylic) that was recommended by @Alan W and I have to say I am pretty happy with it. Nice color and easy to work with (I did spend a bunch of time testing various laser settings which is probably what led to better results even more than the material). Unfortunately the size of the faceplate is a tad too big for the 125B enclosure and the holes are not perfectly centered so the faceplate sits a bit offset and hangs over the edge. I may redo it at some point but it’s also not so horrible that it drives me crazy. Besides, I can’t center those holes anyways so it will be offset anyways. Lesson learned: I gotta get me a drill press.

IMG_0563.jpeg
IMG_0564.jpeg
IMG_0562.jpeg

I like the red and yellow color scheme. I 3D print a lot of my stuff and I hadn't considered making face plates like that for metal enclosures.

Back