Proper Flexible drive (or whatever can that be)

cris_mas

Hey guys/gals, Cris here, not so new guy, but first post.
I've built a couple of effects and becoming an avid Diyer, specially for drives. I'm actually in the hunt of a versatile, yet "familiar" sounding distortion project. I've already built an Angry Andy + which is my main-favourite dist for crunch and lead tones. However, i was for a while not using it, since i did a test at 18volts (the original was capable so i thought "lets do it" and never turned on again. Did a simple analysis to see if i burnt it and couldn't found the reason why it stopped working. I researched many pedals and since i had some cash back then i bought a Bogner Ecstasy Blue mini. Well, it was my main distortion unit, i fell in love with it because you could use it anyway: Low gain, High gain, even as boost in some circumstances. Had to let it go due to financial difficulties and the fact i had to change the tone for a tribute band, where "that sound" wasn't right. So, back to present, i've put together the Angry andy plus again, and i discovered i don't gel with it as much as i did a couple of years ago. I'm missing the tonality and the possibilities the Bogner gave, but i cant afford one right now, and i can't find any used ones (i feel really idiotic right now for selling it), hence my need to build something else. My options were:

- Tyrian Distortion: I feel it a bit more compressed than what i like, but versatile
-Dirty Sanchez: I really like the sound of this one, warm yet "transparent", although Compressed too, but less according to my ears.
-Lead Solder Overdrive: Love Soldanos, but they are like one trick ponies.

As a note, i've noticed that Blue mini pedal was based in a BS170 mosfets as "preamp", which i found interacted really well with my setup.
For context, i play through a "clean" tube preamp pedal, i use a Zendrive clone as solo boost. My tone is more on the Fusion-rock with some alternative and progressive rock stuff (Porcupine Tree), but also i'm inclined to like the tones that Steve Lukather achieves on the Custom Audio Electronics CAE3+
PD: yes, i know i'm asking a lot haha, but i felt i was in the ballpark with the blue mini.
Please let me know which pedalpcb project can get me close to the described tone, in your experience.

If you're looking for bs170-based ODs, there's the Van Pelt, Distortr, or Prince Albert. They aren't as high gain as some of those you listed, but they sound really good.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I would love to design the circuit myself but don't have the skills for that yet. The reason why i want to go with MOSFETS is because i find they sound closer or better to what i hear. I was playing in a Santana tribute and had the Bogner for that. Since i was in not very good financial situation and needed more gear, sold the Blue. Had some cash left and sent a friend to clone me the Mesa MKI pre to get closer (within budget of course) from the Run of Groove UNO circuit (FET based), and the tones apart of not sounding close, just didn't have a good sound. My friend made sure to replicate the circuit as faithfully as posible. He said "if you had more budget and time, we should have designed it with MOSFETS, it will sound better".

That resonated on my not so great knowledge about circuit designs, and found out that the blue mini uses BS170's in the gain stages. I thought about converting a box of rock as well, but elevating the internal voltage to 18volts, but dunno if that's possible.
I'll keep searching

Back