Protoboard Mini Redux

fig

Village Idiot
Still not convinced these are slick as snot?

How do you test a populated pcb? This way works really well (board for visual only..it's missing some bits);

E0CdhMg.jpg

h54atGV.jpg

s01pyoA.jpg

If your board has issues, simply yank the OUT wire and attach a jumper to the pin. You now have an instant audio probe!

Last edited:
Tim, I am glad to see someone else use a piano as a work bench. I thought I may be the only one

Reactions: fig
Still not convinced these are slick as snot?

How do you test a populated pcb? This way works really well (board for visual only..it's missing some bits);

E0CdhMg.jpg

h54atGV.jpg

s01pyoA.jpg

If your board has issues, simply yank the OUT wire and attach a jumper to the pin. You now have an instant audio probe!
Do you have the jumper pins just touching the board when you use this as an audio probe?

Reactions: fig
The pins in the picture are spring loaded and are the same pitch as the pcb, so it acts like soldered wire. If I needed to probe, I'd pull the wire to the OUTUT pin on the protoboard and use a wire from there (bare on other end) as my probe. Follow the schematic path from IN, staying on the inside pin of any component connected to VCC or GND and that will be the signal path.

I’d forgotten about this project.
Thanks for the refresh, Fig, and thanks for giving me the slick-as-hot-whale-snot-on-an-iceberg Protoboard Mini so I can probe in style like an alien!

tumblr_n58bioYuAq1sia893o1_400.gif

What are those red things called? Sure could come in handy
pogo-pin test clips. I had some bare pins arrive today...I'm planning to make some custom test clips. The 4p is great as-is but I'd like the 2p is really too wide, and I want some 1p as well. If they work out I'll definitely share.

They started selling these on Amazon now. 2.54 pitch of course ;)

pogo-pin test clips. I had some bare pins arrive today...I'm planning to make some custom test clips. The 4p is great as-is but I'd like the 2p is really too wide, and I want some 1p as well. If they work out I'll definitely share.

Nice! I’ll add them to my Amazon cart

Hey @fig are these what you got? Do they come with the pins already or do I need to add those separately? Thanks! (And yes, that is pretty slick snot...)

Hey @fig are these what you got? Do they come with the pins already or do I need to add those separately? Thanks! (And yes, that is pretty slick snot...)
Yep, they come with pins (and those pigtails as well I suspect…mine did). They work pretty well but border on the mechanism being too bulky, and for OUT pads and POWER you really need just 1p clips. I haven’t seen a good off-the-shelf version, so I’m rolling my own.

Back