Quick Tayda UV Printing Tip

any tips on spacing of control labels? (knob labels for: level, drive, bass, treble, etc)
Also, do you just overlay the drill template from PedalPCB build docs onto Taydas illustrator enclosure templates to get a feel for layout while designing the graphic?

any tips on spacing of control labels? (knob labels for: level, drive, bass, treble, etc)
I use this, great tool for doing a mock-up in your design software. I always try to give it a bit of room to account for a couple of mm of tolerance
Also, do you just overlay the drill template from PedalPCB build docs onto Taydas illustrator enclosure templates to get a feel for layout while designing the graphic?
That's what I do in illustrator, if you center it right, it gives you a perfect template to work from. I did it with the already drilled enclosure and fit was great. I also used that method to measure for their custom drill service.

I think I'm going to make a Youtube video that walks through the process I've used. I think that'll make it easier. But the short answer is yes, this exactly. I pull in the drill template and center it. Then I create 16mm circles for all knob spacing since those are roughly the largest knobs that will look "good" with pedalPCB spacing if it uses more than 2 knobs. I do 18mm for footswitches. 10mm for LED bezels. etc. Then I add the text and space it all out and that's how I do it. Then I convert the text to curves and export to 300dpi PDF.

I think I'm going to make a Youtube video that walks through the process I've used. I think that'll make it easier. But the short answer is yes, this exactly. I pull in the drill template and center it. Then I create 16mm circles for all knob spacing since those are roughly the largest knobs that will look "good" with pedalPCB spacing if it uses more than 2 knobs. I do 18mm for footswitches. 10mm for LED bezels. etc. Then I add the text and space it all out and that's how I do it. Then I convert the text to curves and export to 300dpi PDF.

I'd definitely appreciate this. I'm a professional designer but I can't exactly figure out if my designs will come out right.

When you say that you center the drill template file - do you center it on an artboard the size listed on the UV printing page (ie, 125b 62 x 117mm) both vertically and horizontally such that some of the border of the front is cut off of the art board?

screenshot attached showing what I'm hoping is correct:

Attachments

• 02182021-032829PM.png
    02182021-032829PM.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 28
I'd definitely appreciate this. I'm a professional designer but I can't exactly figure out if my designs will come out right.

When you say that you center the drill template file - do you center it on an artboard the size listed on the UV printing page (ie, 125b 62 x 117mm) both vertically and horizontally such that some of the border of the front is cut off of the art board?

screenshot attached showing what I'm hoping is correct:
I actually select the middle of that screenshot (basically the rectangle that represents the top of the pedal), along with the drill holes etc, and I group them. Then I copy the group and paste it onto the Tayda 125B template (so, yes it is their artboard size). I then center it exactly, so there's a slight overhang on all 4 sides. I then go into my group and scroll to the bottom and click on the curve that represents that outer border and I just drag the edges in to snap to the edge of the artboard. You have to do this at the actual outer edge curve itself and not the group or it'll adjust the size of the entire group. I just do this to line the actual edge up.

Let me know if that makes sense. Like I said, I'll try to throw together a quick cheat-sheet video of how I get through this.

I actually select the middle of that screenshot (basically the rectangle that represents the top of the pedal), along with the drill holes etc, and I group them. Then I copy the group and paste it onto the Tayda 125B template (so, yes it is their artboard size). I then center it exactly, so there's a slight overhang on all 4 sides. I then go into my group and scroll to the bottom and click on the curve that represents that outer border and I just drag the edges in to snap to the edge of the artboard. You have to do this at the actual outer edge curve itself and not the group or it'll adjust the size of the entire group. I just do this to line the actual edge up.

Let me know if that makes sense. Like I said, I'll try to throw together a quick cheat-sheet video of how I get through this.
Makes perfect sense, thank you! Time to place a test order and knock on wood. I've got half a dozen pedals to box up and ever since I saw how cheap tayda's printing is I've been holding off so I can do it for all of them lol

Back