Recommendations For Random Projects - ICs Transistors, etc.

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
I've started a previous thread about making a holiday light circuit with LEDs. Stumbling down the Google hole got me wanting to do a bunch of random, non-guitar pedal projects. I've got a small Tayda cart in the works ($3-4) for some binary/decade counters and more LEDs, but I'm wondering if people can recommend various transistors or ICs out there for small projects. General purpose stuff mostly. I've got a plethora of resistors and capacitors so I think I'm good there. Can anyone help? *cough* *cough* @fig *cough*

I've got an Arduino unit, but not really interested in programming it, so I'd like to go the Analog route.

I feel like TL072's are in every other build I do. I ended up buying like 30 or so of them a while back because I was sick of ordering them nearly every time and I'm already getting low.

Edit: I have a cloudy brain right now after getting my booster shot, and apparently did not read your OP very well since you said that you wanted them for non-pedal projects.

Last edited:
The CD4000 series CMOS chips show up a lot in projects like you're describing. NPN and PNP BJTs are useful for those projects and pedals (e.g., 2n3904 and 2n3906).

Reactions: fig
Both great suggestions. Tayda has some Arduino stock...protoshields and sensors..do you have oscillators and crystals?
Relays are useful in a LOT of projects too.

Both great suggestions. Tayda has some Arduino stock...protoshields and sensors..do you have oscillators and crystals?
Relays are useful in a LOT of projects too.
I’ve got a basic Arduino kit with probably a few dozen components (fans, sensors, etc)
Not sure about oscillators or crystals
What do relays do?

Reactions: fig
Oh yeah...timers are everywhere.

I've got a noisiest cricket breadboard going! They are a hoot.

Back