Recommendations for thingy to make my guitar go into my computer

Laundryroom David

Keyboard Cowboy 🤠
The title of the thread should serve as a stark (dire?) indicator - I got no idea what I need. I want to make some demos of the pedals I build. I have an Orange Rocker 15 Terror. I have a Microsoft Surface and too many small Apple devices. I want to spend not a huge amount of money … like $500 absolute ceiling. Thoughts? KIND thoughts?

Thank you all in advance

Steinberg/Yamaha and Roland/Boss tend to update drivers for their legacy devices, much more reliably than say M-Audio or Avid/Mbox.

My kid uses the cheap Behringer UM2 with a GLS 57-style mic and I can't hear the difference from high end stuff at work. The School of Rock kids at their HS have overloaded their Scarlette instrument inputs a few times.

I prefer a dynamic mic over a condenser, just because I think it's more forgiving of room reflections.

You can't go wrong with this. As a bonus, it comes with Amplitube LE.

I have the full version of this and it’s really nice. If this was around, then I would have bought that.

Either that, or the cheapest Focusrite, but this is closer in price and has the guitar specific tweaking options. I thought they were gimmicks but actually help in tuning pickups for the input.

Are you specifically looking for a way to go straight into your computer, or a way to mic your Orange?

Either way, I think the entry-level Focusrite Scarlett that everyone is mentioning will be absolutely fine. If you're going to mic your Orange (which I still think is the best way to go about tracking guitars, although software amp sims are better than they've ever been), a Shure SM57 and a mic stand are pretty much standard for the task, and the whole shebang should be $200-ish?

Are you specifically looking for a way to go straight into your computer, or a way to mic your Orange?

Either way, I think the entry-level Focusrite Scarlett that everyone is mentioning will be absolutely fine. If you're going to mic your Orange (which I still think is the best way to go about tracking guitars, although software amp sims are better than they've ever been), a Shure SM57 and a mic stand are pretty much standard for the task, and the whole shebang should be $200-ish?
You can even often get one of the smaller scarletts bundled with a mic, a stand, and maybe headphones?

That sounds like just the ticket. I’d prefer to mic the orange.

I've got a Scarlett 2i2 I no longer need, upgraded to a 4i4, are you in the CONUS, 50 bucks plus shipping it's all yours!

SM57 + focusrite scarlett 2i2

x2 possible methods:

1)
record your pedals direct into the 2i2 and then run it into amp+cab sim plugins (plenty of good freeware out there) on a DAW (reaper/cubase etc.)
- don't even need the SM57 for this.
i've done this, and it sounds fantastic for clean sounds, delays, modulation fx etc. (STL ignite emissary is a great free plugin)

2)
record your orange amp with the SM57 + 2i2 (into DAW as above, but no amp/cab sim plugins required)

it's also actually possible to do this without a computer and direct to iphone with an adaptor (to record a video with audio from the 2i2 preamp)

I just recorded a demo yesterday with this setup:
444276B3-3580-4137-BD1C-9FC214C92285.jpeg 466389E3-B80D-4CC2-8A82-2692D9DE8A67.jpeg 0AE07BF3-87CA-4552-8C30-59F4F620393E.jpeg
TL;DR - this allows a video to be recorded on your iphone with audio signal feeding from the 2i2 preamp/SM57.

Last edited:
SM57 + focusrite scarlett 2i2

x2 possible methods:

1)
record your pedals direct into the 2i2 and then run it into amp+cab sim plugins (plenty of good freeware out there) on a DAW (reaper/cubase etc.)
- don't even need the SM57 for this.
i've done this, and it sounds fantastic for clean sounds, delays, modulation fx etc. (STL ignite emissary is a great free plugin)

2)
record your orange amp with the SM57 + 2i2 (into DAW as above, but no amp/cab sim plugins required)

it's also actually possible to do this without a computer and direct to iphone with an adaptor (to record a video with audio from the 2i2 preamp)

I just recorded a demo yesterday with this setup:
View attachment 46537View attachment 46538View attachment 46539
TL;DR - this allows a video to be recorded on your iphone with audio signal feeding from the 2i2 preamp/SM57.
Very cool!!

Back