Rodent (RAT/Turbo RAT)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I've been wanting to compare RAT builds for quite some time; and since a friend of mine loved my Muroidea so much that I gave it to him, I was forced to build another (have to a RAT of some kind on my board at all times). So last night I ripped out a RAT in the form of Fuzzdog's Rodent and have been quite impressed thus far.

This board makes a variety of mods easy, and the instructions in the build doc are very thorough and helpful (as always with Fuzzdog builds). You can build a standard RAT/Turbo RAT combo (with the option to add an extra diode for asymmetrical clipping), or a You Dirty RAT/Turbo RAT combo. You can go standard with the 3-knob version or add a 4th "Response" knob (or trimmer) via the Ruetz mod, which flattens the frequency response of the circuit and gives you extended but tight low end. I went with the standard RAT (with extra diode for asymmetrical clipping)/Turbo RAT with the Ruetz mod. I l also added a silver mica for the heck of it because I have quite a few. Whether this truly affects the sound or not, you tell me (I like to think that it does :unsure:). The sound? Just as a RAT should, with the response knob adding some nice sculpting capabilities.

Absolutely delighted with where I went aesthetically, with the mocha enclosure (Love My Switches) and creme/brown knobs being a super dope combo IMO. The brown knob is the Response control (to differentiate it from the standard 3 knobs).

I will build another Muroidea when I get a chance (PedalPCB for life!), but that being said I highly recommend this build. Fuzzdog comes legit and the way he is able to make mods easy is genius. Plus, almost all his builds are designed for a 1590b, so if you're concerned about real estate look his way.

If you need a RAT, build a Muroidea. If you want a bit more with some easy mod options, build a Rodent. Better yet, build both!

IMG_8677.jpg
IMG_8678.jpg

I've been wanting to compare RAT builds for quite some time; and since a friend of mine loved my Muroidea so much that I gave it to him, I was forced to build another (have to a RAT of some kind on my board at all times). So last night I ripped out a RAT in the form of Fuzzdog's Rodent and have been quite impressed thus far.

This board makes a variety of mods easy, and the instructions in the build doc are very thorough and helpful (as always with Fuzzdog builds). You can build a standard RAT/Turbo RAT combo (with the option to add an extra diode for asymmetrical clipping), or a You Dirty RAT/Turbo RAT combo. You can go standard with the 3-knob version or add a 4th "Response" knob (or trimmer) via the Ruetz mod, which flattens the frequency response of the circuit and gives you extended but tight low end. I went with the standard RAT (with extra diode for asymmetrical clipping)/Turbo RAT with the Ruetz mod. I l also added a silver mica for the heck of it because I have quite a few. Whether this truly affects the sound or not, you tell me (I like to think that it does :unsure:). The sound? Just as a RAT should, with the response knob adding some nice sculpting capabilities.

Absolutely delighted with where I went aesthetically, with the mocha enclosure (Love My Switches) and creme/brown knobs being a super dope combo IMO. The brown knob is the Response control (to differentiate it from the standard 3 knobs).

I will build another Muroidea when I get a chance (PedalPCB for life!), but that being said I highly recommend this build. Fuzzdog comes legit and the way he is able to make mods easy is genius. Plus, almost all his builds are designed for a 1590b, so if you're concerned about real estate look his way.

If you need a RAT, build a Muroidea. If you want a bit more with some easy mod options, build a Rodent. Better yet, build both!

View attachment 42585
View attachment 42586
I really like the color "odd man out" knob choice.

I ran out of my knob supply this weekend when I was wrapping up a kliché min build and end up with this, which I think I'm gonna stick with.

IMG_6844.jpg

Back