SOLVED sag/gating/fuzz-like response in a TS circuit?

owlexifry

this was supposed to be a build thread.

finished a build on the weekend (ST-9 clone)

initially tested the circuit through its intended use a couple weeks ago (goosing high gain amp), with the gain set low and level set high.
sounded great. (and still does, in this setting) so i boxed it up.

been A/B testing it against other similar TS circuits and seemed to behaving as it should.

BUT then i tried testing it last night, in front of a 5w class A tweed (speaker out into fryette reactive load, listening through DAW w/ IRs + headphones)

this was the first time i actually turned up the gain beyond 10-11 o’clock (i don’t normally do this).

WELL GUESS WHAT, when i turned up the gain past halfway, i noticed it was starting to fart out / over-saturate / sorta like a gating fuzz when the intermodulation distortion became too much.
‘blocking distortion’ i think it’s called?
not nice.
i guess it sounded like the opamp was clipping..?
wtf. TS circuits are not supposed to do this.

initially i thought maybe it was the level output being too much for the lil tweeds input:

- used a 2n5089 (instead of 2n5088) on the output buffer - maybe too spicy?
- looking at the audio interface's input meter - noticed the output of this circuit was way hotter than a TS9, had to turn the input level down a fair bit (vs. TS9)

so i turned the level (on the pedal) down to halfway.
this didn’t change anything, still the same crappy response with gain turned up.

to compare, i tried doing the same thing with other TS drives, and they didn’t cause this undesirable response in the same amp/rig.
so for now, I'm a bit lost.

i did previously measure the voltages and they looked fine. i mean, if there was an error, surely it wouldn't even work at all...

i wonder what would be causing this undesirable response at high gain settings? maybe the socketed clipping diodes are having intermittency? i'm stumped.

SOLVED 🥲

this '510K' bias resistor appeared to have lost it's blue plastic coating after a blob/splatter of solder landed on it. i flicked it off, but i don’t recall it looking like this after that.
so tonight i took it out of the circuit, but of course, it appeared to measure fine. i replaced it with a new one.
A56062B0-CA67-48BE-995C-EDF42F46CCEE.jpeg

along the way i noticed some spots on the back of the board that could have been cleaned up better (crap between the traces)
and gave the whole thing a good clean again.

i’m not sure which was the solution but it works properly now.
i have a feeling it was the cleaning up that solved it. yet again. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Back