Sandspur and moonn priestess

Mentaltossflycoon

So I've not done very many of "the classics" since I'm mostly focused on circuits to use on bass. Lots of bmp and variants that are so far from their topology that i don't think they count. Titania2 was my first realish "bender" and this is my first "face" type. The whole volume knob cleanup isn't something I've ever been after on bass but it is really nice with my tele. Definitely seeing the appeal. I set the bias trimmer as @thewintersoldier suggested to @MichaelW so thanks for making that extra simple. A friend of mine has the blammo sum face bc108 so hopefully we can get a little shoot out at some point.

Screenshot_20220718-222621_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220718-222635_Gallery.jpg

The kind folks at moonn have sent me quite a few freebies along with some orders so I've been on a bit of a building spree but it's mostly circuits I don't know anything about. First to get boxed is this priestess that is inspired by the cot50 which I understand to be an elektra. It's not my cleanest work mostly due to forcing it it into an old enclosure but also a touch of radical acceptance. The sticker is a 70s textbook cover, but one that was a reject from another project.

I was somewhat unimpressed at first only knowing that it's supposed to impart a Marshall/Hendrix flavor (church of tone). Eventually I read that it's best used to boost an already screaming amp and... yeah that sounded pretty good. However, I don't understand who's actually using this thing as it's a considerable volume boost at its most tame. Feels weird to have no way to achieve unity. I'm curious how many of you have/are using this or a similar pedal and do you step on it? Always on?

Screenshot_20220718-222701_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220718-222720_Gallery.jpg

A good friend happened to have this blammo sum face so he threw it my way to give it a little comparison. At first I thought "uh oh" but thankfully it's just that the bias knob function is backwards. Sounds pretty close, maybe a little more at the extremes in the bias knob on the blammo and the sandspear gets a little louder. Screenshot_20220815-131224_Gallery.jpg

Bumping on the Priestess topic. I have had mine built for a while but didn't use it much since I have other boosts.

Got back into it this week and really enjoy it as a boost into a medium gain pedal (TS or BB style). Pairs amazingly well with an Adjunct Overdrive (Hudson Sidecar), enough that I ponder a dual build..

Do you still use it? Or did it get relegated to the pedal pile?

I do not, though I didn't try that specifically. I handed it over to a friend to see what he thinks. Funny enough, I had him try the sandspur too.

Last edited:
Back