Scrapyard Dogs - Laird of Tone

SillyOctpuss

I've been stupidly busy recently so it's taken much longer than I expected to get the first of these finished.

I'm planning on building some pedals by reusing and recycling as many parts as possible. I have a huge pile of vero builds which were never boxed up and looking through it recently there are some nice parts in there. As vero is super easy to desolder and remove parts from and in keeping with @fig recent recycle based competition I thought this could be a fun series of pedals to do.

The first of these is my new KoT clone. I've built a few of these now and never held onto any of them for any real length of time. This one, however, is really floating my boat. I definitely prefer the KoT circuit at 9v over 18v. After doing some testing between BA282, MA858, MA859, 1N4148 and 1ss133 I've gone for BA282 for soft clipping and the stock 1s1588 for hard clipping. (I'm planning on uploading some sound clips of the differences in the clipping options if there's any interest - just let me know).

Gut shots aren't as tidy as I'd like but that happens with vero vs pcb. The main thing is it's a quiet build despite the messy guts and sounds great. The boards and small clipping boards have been velcroed in place so I can get them out easily if I feel like doing any mods.

And one confession at the end. The knobs on this build have not been recycled from something else. I did have knobs from an old build on it until I noticed these while browsing Thonk and just had to have them - I think they look awesome.

So yeah that's it really. Oh and due to the tweed I figured Laird of Tone worked as a name for this one. That's essentially Scottish for Lord for those of you who are outside the UK and thought "what the fook is a Laird"

The next scrapyard dog will be a recycled Rat (if it all goes to plan)

20210813_165659_resized_1.jpg

20210813_165709_resized_1.jpg

20210813_165718_resized_1.jpg

20210813_170056_resized_1.jpg

Awesome build! -you nailed it!

I'd love to hear the clipper-clips if you have time.

If you'd have put a muff derivative in there, you could have called it.....Tweedy-Pie.

Also, thank you for the outdoors backdrop, it's very refreshing!

Awesome build! -you nailed it!

I'd love to hear the clipper-clips if you have time.

If you'd have put a muff derivative in there, you could have called it.....Tweedy-Pie.

Also, thank you for the outdoors backdrop, it's very refreshing!

Thanks Fig. I'll get the clips recorded this weekend and will tag you when I upload them.

A tweed covered muff is an excellent idea. As for the outdoors shots a laird is a country land owning lord in Scotland so my original plan was to take some pics of the pedal enjoying the outdoor country life e.g. Sitting on a tractor, hitting on barbie down at the local pub that. That sortnof thingn ;)

Tha's a bonnie wee Tweedy build, bad braw bro!

I've asked a buddy for scraps of Tweed from his cab build, to which he replied resounding yes, but 2 months later and I'm still Tweedless — I guess he's hoarding the scraps to cover up mistakes in his next build! 🤪

Hmmm... pedal garbed in tweed, with leather elbow corner patches — and a pipe, driving a...

'56 Austin-Healey 100M...

Reactions: fig
Sure! 😻 A '66 XKE, top down, all 6 pots about to melt down, brakes glowing...

Not a '66, but quite nice nonetheless...

Back