Should RangeFinder go before a buffer like a fuzz does?

Pretty self explanatory. Does a rangefinder circuit react with the impedance (or whatever) of the pickups in the same way a fuzz or wah pedal does? Does it make any difference if it is behind a buffer?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 2.15.32 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 2.15.32 AM.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 12
If you want your RangeFinder to behave like a treble booster, then it should be driven by the guitar. If you want it to distort, then drive it with a buffer or other low-impedance source.
This is the good, scientific explanation.

My unscientific explanation is: Rangefinder sounds good being fed directly by the guitar and before a buffer, and sounds like absolute shit after a buffer.

M

Are you using both at once? If so, put the Rangefinder first. Otherwise it doesn't matter if they're both true bypass.

Are you using both at once? If so, put the Rangefinder first. Otherwise it doesn't matter if they're both true bypass.
Yeah, I meant both at the same time. Is the fuzz messed with at all by the rangefinder being on? (meaning the impedance or inductance or whatever)

Just curious.

Yeah, I meant both at the same time. Is the fuzz messed with at all by the rangefinder being on? (meaning the impedance or inductance or whatever)

Just curious.
The fuzz certainly sounds different, but some people (including me) like the sound of a Rangemaster into a fuzz. Give it a try and see what you think.

Yeah, I'm playing with it now and it sounds pretty sweet before my Sunflower Fuzz.

Still trying to figure out the biasing and might swap out some cap values at some point as well.

Now you have a Sunlion
Ah, I'm reinventing the wheel over here.

I looked into it and it looks like this pedal does not have an order switch, although can be ordered with 4 jacks optional.

That suggests to me that analogman seems to think rangemaster goes better second.

Back