Shrapnel Overdrive (Thorpy Gunshot)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This was one that I recently built.

Interesting circuit. Tonally it's similar sounding to the Thorpy Peacekeeper (PPCB Guardian) as there's overlap although the Gunshot is capable of more gain.

They both sound best to me as low gain applications.

Circuit wise it's interesting in that it's a SHO boost into a YATS-ish.

What makes it interesting is that it has a control called "Caliber" which is essentially the gain control for SHO portion of the circuit.
Then there's a gain control for the TS clipping.

Then you can mix the two gain controls and blend them to taste.

I like this one a lot too, it's pretty close to the Guardian, which is an excellent overdrive.

This was my first attempt at using one of @szukalski 's micro relay boards.
Turns out the way I wired it was a lot more complicated than it needed to be.

Dave basically thought of everything! I did a better job on my Red Herring build.

I goofed the drilling and one of the knobs is off. It's nearly impossible to see the center punch marks on these Tayda hammered enclosures.

I bet I drilled something that I THOUGHT was the center punch dimple but was just a hammered finish dimple........ :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

These relay boards are absolutely tiny!
IMG_5971.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

Just barely clears the back enclosure if you run the footswitch a little lower. I need some shorter shank footswitches. Sticks out a bit far.
Or I need to put the relay in on its side. Which is possible but not as neat. Maybe I'll figure out a neat way to do it.

IMG_5978.JPG

I have a drill press so drill accurately is a lot easier. One thing I do is stick some masking tape on the enclosure and mark all the holes on that - Makes a it a LOT easier to see what you're doing. Especially on finishes like these. I don't even need to centre punch.

I am relieved to see a slightly crooked wire going to a jack. Michael is human!!

That Sheepy Love dude need his own subforum so people can whine about the lack of build docs........ :ROFLMAO:
My philosophy is that it shouldn't need build docs.. :ROFLMAO:
For anyone reading this, if you do take the power from the main PCB, jumper the LED and CLR. Leaving the CLR in would be.. less than optimal.

Back