Signal Tracing Question/help

djmiyta

I have a pedal. It passes signal in by-pass it does not when engaged. It has a high pitched squeal that can be adjusted moving the pots (i.e. volume pot ,response pot etc. led's work as they should. but the squeal is pretty loud and always there. I suppose I should mention the build I'm asking about. The DEFX Schumann PLL.
so what I want to know is when signal tracing the injected signal through the circuit , and I gotta say even though there's a schematic and I'm able to identify the components I have a verrrrrry basic understanding of following the audio path on the schematic like I know the jacks in and out but inbetween those two I'm pretty clueless. Okay I've got my signal injected into the circuit and at the input a clear signal since I mentioned the squeal I assume that's what I'd be listening for or trying to find the source? And if and where the signal dies? But basically I'm looking with the tracer for where I hear the squeal in the circuit? Not knowing the audio path poking around semi-blindly if I did find it how would I know something before it is'nt the cause or after? Once I think I found the source do I just replace that component?
I've watched several videos on signal tracing and from what I've gathered the signal tracing gets you close but not exactly what component is the problem.

Would anyone mind sharing some of their audio/signal tracing experiences here. I've used mine maybe 6 times tops and only solved one problem using it. The signal died and it was there that was a bad solder joint. They say practice makes perfect right? I guess so unless you're practicing the wrong way.
Really hoping some people chime in on this cause I'm stuck and all I hear is how great and easy it is to use a signal tracer. Sidenote - I've built a shitload of pedals from a site called effectslayouts.blogspot.com. As far as I've seen ALL his layouts show the power , ground and signal paths which makes it beyond easy to trace for me as it is I've had incredible success with my builds 90% of any of my non-working builds was the builder's error ahhhh probably closer to 98%. So not much chance of having use the tracer

Back