Silicon Fuzz Foundry

mattkwilson

Hey there!
So I've made a Fuzz Foundry with a 2N3904 as per the design, but have swapped out the 2xAC128's for 2x3906. I had read that this was just a straight swap, but things aren't sounding right. I DO get sound, and very similar sounds to what I think I should be getting. However, I get note cutoff very quickly, especially when playing higher notes - very little sustain at all, even with the Gate pot turned all the way down.

I did some research and found that maybe biasing needs to be reset? From what I understand that would mean adjusting resistors to modify the voltage at the Base of the transistors, right? So basically I'm asking:

1) Anybody done this before and have a similar issue? And if so, how did you fix it?
2) Could the biasing be the issue?
3) Could it be something else entirely?

To help with the diagnosis, I measured voltages on the transistors wrt ground with all pots at 12 o'clock:

Voltage source @8.1V
Q1 (2N3904): C=1.07V, B=0.62V, E=0V
Q2 (2N3906): C=5.07V, B=4.47V, E=2.53V
Q3 (2N3906): C=3.19V, B=2.53V, E=3.18V

I've also switched Q2 and Q3 to see if there was any difference and there's no difference.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Bump

I've got nothing to help you, other than bumping the thread.

Aion suggests the Si version sounds/behaves quite differently from the Ge, and also recommends the following starter settings:

Drive: 5
Volume: 3
Comp: 2
Stability: 10
Gate: 0

Back