Silismile transistors

clarksjc

Hello everyone,

I built a Silismile and socketed the transistors. I tried multiple combinations of 2n5088s, 2n3904s, 2n2222, and others with a max hfe on Q2 of about 350. Nothing seems to bring the gain up to what sounds right to me. It's not bad but a little underwhelming.

My question: is there any big difference in this circuit that R3 and R5 would limit the gain compared to a fuzzface, or am I just needing to order some BC108s or BC108Cs and that might open it up?

Thanks for any help!

Sean

Edit: I forgot to add that I play through a Plexi clone with some breakup, and then a clean Princeton to compare.

Last edited:
Great thank you!
Will that add more volume as well as distortion? Maybe I said it wrong.

It is too clean, not enough fuzz.

Hello everyone,

I built a Silismile and socketed the transistors. I tried multiple combinations of 2n5088s, 2n3904s, 2n2222, and others with a max hfe on Q2 of about 350. Nothing seems to bring the gain up to what sounds right to me. It's not bad but a little underwhelming.

Sounds like you have another issue. Are you sure your socketed connections are sound? Are you sure your Fuzz control and it's related components are soldered well?

My question: is there any big difference in this circuit that R3 and R5 would limit the gain compared to a fuzzface, or am I just needing to order some BC108s or BC108Cs and that might open it up?

The Silismile IS a Fuzz Face. R5 does not affect anything, it's simply a pull-down resistor. R3 is just a limiting resistor that works with the trimmer to set the maximum bias voltage for Q2.

Do you have pictures of the top and bottom of the completed board and any of your offboard wiring?

I took it out of the enclosure last night to reflow the joints, which I'll do today. And check the sockets too. I am pretty sure the connection is sound, but def worth checking.

I'll try to post photos later today, thanks everyone.

I knew if I asked you guys you would get me in the right direction. Problem solved and now it sounds like it should! Now
I can experiment with transistors properly.
I reflowed all of the joints and at least one looked suspect (C2 negative), then cleaned the board with alcohol. Also on the off board wiring there was one tiny strand of stray wire that might have been causing issues. Maybe the ground wasn't good. I thought it was working since nothing was cutting out just a bit weak in the fuzz department and volume. If someone likes a tame fuzz it was even useable through the Marshall.

Thanks for the help everyone! Feral Feline, you got me thinking with the ones you listed. I'd be curious to hear what kind of mayhem that
would create.

I knew if I asked you guys you would get me in the right direction. Problem solved and now it sounds like it should! Now
I can experiment with transistors properly.
I reflowed all of the joints and at least one looked suspect (C2 negative), then cleaned the board with alcohol. Also on the off board wiring there was one tiny strand of stray wire that might have been causing issues. Maybe the ground wasn't good. I thought it was working since nothing was cutting out just a bit weak in the fuzz department and volume. If someone likes a tame fuzz it was even useable through the Marshall.

Thanks for the help everyone! Feral Feline, you got me thinking with the ones you listed. I'd be curious to hear what kind of mayhem that
would create.

99% of problems I’ve ever had with Fuzz Faces is Fuzz Control/Emitter cap related, so this makes sense.

Now I know, thank you! It's an enjoyable learning process, I have to say.
I would like to mark this as solved, but can't find the option for some reason.

Back