Skylight Overdrive (Mad Professor Sky Blue OD)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Temperatures in my garage finally got above 60 degrees F today, so bundled up in a parka I ventured out to knock the icicles off my soldering iron and try to build a pedal...... šŸ˜› .

It's been nuts since last week. It got down into the 40's inside my garage. My blood is too thin to be soldering at those temps.

This is the last of my pre-drilled enclosures that have been sitting for a couple of weeks. I totally borked the drilling of this pedal (although it hides well under the knobs). Turns out my stepped drill bit finally is getting dull after 80 or so pedals and it was wandering when I was drilling.

It was a standard 4 hole PPCB format so I just chucked it aside and drilled a new one for what I was building at the time. But it bugs me to have an empty enclosure so I decided to revisit the enclosure today and see if I couldn't make it work. Rat tail file and some "English" on the pot legs to the rescue. It turned out ok after all.

The Skylight Overdrive is another pedal I had no idea existed until I saw it mentioned in an old thread by someone. So I decided to look into it and turns out it's a Bjorn Juhl design so that caught my attention. Doing some googling it seems like it was the "hot pedal of the minute" about 12-13 years ago, so grabbed one in my last PPCB order.

I had ordered some 2N3819 JFETs in anticipation of building this during the SmallBear Black Friday sale and promptly forgot I did. When I was reviewing the BOM today I was planning to build it out with 2N5457's socketed and then order some 2N3819's from Smallbear and then swap them out later. So I figured as long as I was paying for shipping I'd take a look and see what other transistors I needed, and rummaging through my transistor box found the 3819's I originally bought last month....duh......

I used my last B1K pot a few weeks ago so had to hack a B5k with a parallel resistor. It works but the taper is a bit off. Other than that, everything else is stock to the BOM.

Build went smooth, not a lot of components. I spent more time messing with the enclosure to get it to fit than actually soldering.

This is a very unusual overdrive bordering on distortion. The build docs and old marketing copy claim that it's designed to push an already overdrive amp or provide "light" overdrive to a clean amp. So I was pretty surprised when I found that it has a LOT of gain. I would categorize it as a lighter distortion pedal as opposed to an overdrive. It doesn't sound like anything else I've built so far but the closest I would say might be the Mystery Meat at certain settings.

The controls are interesting. Aside from the level and gain knobs, there's a "Texture" knob and a "Z" knob.
The Texture knob sounds like it's affecting the high mids somewhat and adds some subtle compression or fullness to the sound. Turned all the way down it gets into the "Timmy" territory where it's a bit more transparent, but it's a pretty subtle effect.

The "Z" knob is where this pedal has some magic in my opinion. When I first started messing with it, it seemed like a cool high gain pedal and I was wondering where the "light overdrive" was. The "Z" control adjusts the input impedance and the most noticeable affect of adjusting this knob is how your pickups and guitar volume knob react to the pedal. So with the gain at noon, which is pretty gainy, I can back off the volume knob and get the "light overdrive".
Set up that way, you can ride the guitar's volume knob and get everywhere from edge of breakup to full on distortion with just the volume pot.
It seems to work better for single coils than hum buckers, used this way and using my P90 50's wiring guitars there's a lot of different sounds I can get just using the guitar controls. Very cool!

Glad I built this and plan on spending some more time digging into what else it can do. It's got me interested in the other Mad Professor pedals in @Robert 's catalog now! :)

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

In this pedal the 2N3819 Jfets are being used as clipping diodes, so you can try diodes, Jfets, whatever you like for clipping there. Bjorn has used 2N3819s as diodes in other pedals before too.

Interesting how you put the circuit lower in the enclosure to make space for the jacks. I wouldn't have thought of that!

I was saying earlier that it was barely 40Ā°F and I left the house without a coat for the first time in like 2 weeks. I was definitely drilling enclosures in my garage the other day when it was about 12
Floridian here dude, 50 degrees is ā€œpuffy jacketā€ weather for meā€¦..šŸ˜

In this pedal the 2N3819 Jfets are being used as clipping diodes, so you can try diodes, Jfets, whatever you like for clipping there. Bjorn has used 2N3819s as diodes in other pedals before too.

Interesting how you put the circuit lower in the enclosure to make space for the jacks. I wouldn't have thought of that!
I do that whenever Iā€™m shoe horning a board into a 1590B. Which is whenever I can get away with it!šŸ˜€

Living where we do spoils us because it never gets below freezing. So when we travel in winter to Europe or the US we are surprised at how many people wear what my son dubbed "sleeping bags", or puffy jackets. Whenever we go into somewhere with snow I have my trusty Carharrt jacket with hood which is amazing in the cold. I can't bring myself to wear a sleeping bag but then I don't have to live in a cold climate. And I certainly don't have to drill pedal enclosures in a freezing climate!

Living where we do spoils us because it never gets below freezing. So when we travel in winter to Europe or the US we are surprised at how many people wear what my son dubbed "sleeping bags", or puffy jackets. Whenever we go into somewhere with snow I have my trusty Carharrt jacket with hood which is amazing in the cold. I can't bring myself to wear a sleeping bag but then I don't have to live in a cold climate. And I certainly don't have to drill pedal enclosures in a freezing climate!
The advantage of a good "puffy jacket" is that it folds up into its own pocket into a 5" ball. Makes it easy for me to travel for work in the winter when I have to go Minneapolis or some other obnoxiously cold place. Packs easily into my laptop bag.

FWIW I've built a Splendiferous - it's very different from the Sky Blue. It's more a regular OD with decent EQ. It doesn't any TS-style mid-hump. It's a good rock'n'roll sound. Maybe slightly more aggressive sounding than a Timmy but not in a Marshall or Vox way. It doesn't have the mids of a Colorsound OD either - it's more of a base sound that you might use a boost on. It's got plenty of lows and highs - kind of generic but not as boring as that sounds! It has its own sound and it's easy to like. It's kind of the opposite of a Klon. It would probably work really well with a Klon!

Back