SO-8 to DIP-8 Adapter Hacks - UPDATED

andrewsrea

Does anyone have a solution to what to use for the lead pins ('legs') on a SO-8 to DIP-8 adapter, once the SOIC-8 type IC is soldered to the adapter?

I've seen some adapters sold with staged pins and I've used reclaimed resistor leads in the past. Just wondering what other builders are doing and if those pins are available, where is the source?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a solution to what to use for the lead pins ('legs') on a SO-8 to DIP-8 adapter, once the SO-23 type IC is soldered to the adapter?

I've seen some adapters sold with staged pins and I've used reclaimed resistor leads in the past. Just wondering what other builders are doing and if those pins are available, where is the source?
Header pins, 2.54mm spacing
Tayda, AliExpress or Amazon

For anyone with the same question, the recommended 2.54mm header pins will probably (barely) fit in the PedalPCB products solder eyelets, but they do not fit in common component sockets. :(

My hack is to place the adapters on a breadboard, placed reclaimed film cap leads through the eight holes, solder then trim with dykes on the top side and using flush cutters, cut all but 3mm of length on the bottom for socket leads.

I spend so much money on pedal building, that I try to cut cost some places. For leads, I solder clipped off legs from components I used on the board. I use a flush cutter by clipping the first leg on the end, then resting the fresh clipped bottom of that leg on the cutter to cut the next leg. That way, they all are pretty damn close to being the same length. Then I use a fine point needle nose pliers and press all the legs at once with the pliers, which pretty damn near straightens them all out. It's definitely the poor man's method, but it's always worked for me.

Headers is by far the easier way to go, my way is free. Your choice

Does anyone have a solution to what to use for the lead pins ('legs') on a SO-8 to DIP-8 adapter, once the SO-23 type IC is soldered to the adapter?

Just curious: why are you mounting SO-23 parts on an SO-8 to DIP-8 adapter? Is that a common hack I'm not aware of, or...?

Back