Soldering PC pins?

BoyBastos

So I have some wiring to do (sorry its on a guitar and not a pedal). One of the needed pots is a reverse audio 1meg pot. Can't find one except for this type.

1706643551813.png

Can I just solder directly on the legs/pins? Usually use pots with solder lugs and I twist the wire so there is some mechanical connection. I am complete beginner so sorry for the probably obvious answer to this question. Thank you!

Sure, you can solder wires directly to the pins.
One note - this pot has short thread. There is no problem with mounting it on the pickguard, but with the guitar body it will not be so easy.

Ah, and therein lies another snag. It's mounted to the body. Might have to search again, but maybe I'll buy a couple of these just to try. Thank you!

Here's a hack: you can make a long bushing pot adapter from a cheap Tayda 1/4" jack nut. Just drop the nut inside a socket wrench and thread the inside with an M7x0.75mm tap mounted in a drill. Takes me about 10 seconds. Tayda should really make this part, I think. I feel bad about destroying perfectly good, brand new jacks only to use their nut.

aaa.jpg b.jpg

Last edited:
So I have some wiring to do (sorry its on a guitar and not a pedal). One of the needed pots is a reverse audio 1meg pot. Can't find one except for this type.

View attachment 67215

Can I just solder directly on the legs/pins? Usually use pots with solder lugs and I twist the wire so there is some mechanical connection. I am complete beginner so sorry for the probably obvious answer to this question. Thank you!
You can solder to the legs of the pot OR you could poke your wire through the little holes for each leg for a little extra security

Back