DEMO Sole Proprietor Overdrive (HAO Sole Pressure)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
One more build report for the weekend...

So when I got my last PPCB order I noticed an extra board in the package I didn't recall ordering....which is not really that unusual, sometimes I forget what I ordered...heh.

But looking at the packing list it wasn't on there either, @Robert slipped me a freebie of one of his new projects. The Sole Proprietor. Thanks @Robert !

I was JUST looking into this when I saw it listed in the "PedalPCB Announcements" forum. It sounded really interesting.

It's an overdrive but also not really an overdrive. Essentially it's a pedal analog of a Fender Tweed Bassman amp. I watched Brett Kingman's video review of it and was pretty impressed with how it sounded. Not just the gain sounds but the clean sounds as well.

On the clean settings it's got that big low end "push" that a 4x10 Tweed Bassman has, big bold sound. When you crank the gain is sounds very much like a cranked Tweed amp, but if you had a real amp you'd be at Arena level volumes in order to get that kind of gain.

Like the real amp, as the gain gets cranked the low end can get a bit flubby, it acts very much like a real tweed era amp. I popped on my Modus Operandi boost to tighten up the bottom and focus the transients a bit. Sounded really good.
There's a 3 way "bright" toggle that helps overcome some of the muddiness but it's a very subtle effect. At higher gain settings the toggle has more effect.

I recorded a quick demo (sorry for the dark video, my office doesn't have much light). A few minutes into the video on the higher gain settings I turned on the boost.

Really really cool pedal. I've never heard of HAO and really don't know much about the maker or the designer of this circuit but it's really quite cool.
Definitely recommended for a raunchy, tweedy, cranked amp kind of overdrive.

Very easy build too, not a lot of components.

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4316.JPG

Back