Solenoid Drive - bass pot?

HamishR

Just received a PedalPCB order and one of the boards is the Solenoid Overdrive. As yet there are no build docs so no schematic, but I do have the schematic available for the Aion version which has a bass pot. I'm wanting to use the bass pot on my PedalPCB board rather than the switches and tomorrow when I'm feeling more intelligent I'll try to work out how to do this. But has anyone already worked it out? :)

It’s quite simple, where the 15k and 10k are, just replace these with a 25kB pot. Compare the aion thulcandra schematic with their trace schematic.

I like that aions build docs are really educational and have lots of mod information. And the boards are laid out to accommodate these mods. But, I understand for pedalpcb the vast number of boards would make this too much to write up

Similar story for the Nobels OD-1 (Nobelman). Aion has provisions for a BASS pot. On the Nobleman, it has to be kludged in. Something to think about for the next board rev, nudge-nudge.

I build the AION version a while ago. Compared it to a Zen drive today and it’s got too much bass IMO even on the lowest setting of the bass pot and the gain is too much too quickly.
So I think I’m going to experiment with a 500k gain pot instead of 1M to get a more gradual and lower amount of gain and a 6k8 resistor as minimum bass instead if the 18k. The 6k8 is the value boss uses in the BD-2 which this circuit borrowed quite a lot from. Like a Zen drive and BD-2 hybrid.

I settled on a 10k resistor instead of the 18k for the lowest value for the bass pot and I added a toggle switch that switches in a 1M resistor across the outer lugs of the 1M gain pot so I can select between high and a little less gain. It does have a small impact on the highs as well making the pedal a little more transparant and touch sensitive. Overall it’s a nice pedal to add warmer dumble like tones. Works great on single coils and low output humbuckers IMO.

Back