SOLVED Son of Ben Feedback Oscillation

jfk911

Hi all! I'm new to building pedals and new here, and currently on my third build the S.O.B. which I completed last night (First two were the Duocast and Informant). I wanted to put the SOB in a 1590B enclosure to look like the original. In doing so I attached about a 2" wire lead to all the potentiometers then to the PCB, then heat shrunk all the solder joints after making sure they were solid. The pedal is silent in bypass but has a high pitch noise while engaged, which from reading sounds like feedback oscillation. First thing I did was play with the trim pots and when they are turned down it goes away (but the pedal gets really quiet), then I checked with a multimeter to make sure all the cap values were correct and they were. I tested all the potentiometers and they do what they are suppose to, so all in all the pedal functions as it should minus the high pitched squealing, which does make it unusable. From a quick google, messy wiring is one major cause to feed back oscillation so my first thing tonight will be to shorten all the pot leads to roughly 1/2" to about 3/4" of an inch long, I also bought the pre soldered J201 and have about 1" leads on them, so I'll shorten them as well to about 1/2". I also did not tape the dual B1M pot so that will also be on my hit list or Ill grab a bigger chunk of heat shrink from work. Is there anything else I should check? The power supply I tested it with was the Strymon Zuma as I've seen that question asked while diagnosing feedback oscillation.

I don't have any gut shots but will take one tonight if need be, thanks in advance guys!

It ended up being a potentiometer that was grounding out. So I spun all the pots and laid the board neatly and the pedal works wonderfully. I should still shorten the leads but that will be a project for another night, now on to the next project!

Reactions: spi
Back