Sproing in Cigar Box Amp, 12V & 9V?

nate_noise

Hi All, nice to meet you- this is my first post here :)

I've made a cigar box amp (the Ruby Amp) using a PCB from Tayda. I'm planning to add the Sproing as a built-in reverb. I've read that running the amp off 12V will provide more headroom, but J Rockett seems to not advise running their pedal off anything but 9V.

My questions:
1) Has anyone successfully run the Sproing off 12V for long periods of time without frying it?
2) Is it possible to wire up both 12V and 9V battery packs to provide separate voltages to each circuit but still have the option to power everything with a single 9V DC jack?

Seems to me like something has to give in the latter scenario, like running the Sproing off just a battery and make the DC jack solely for the amp, since the amp is a battery hog (at least then I could plug 12V into the DC jack if I wanted). But I'd love to know if anyone has any other solutions.

Beginnings of a wiring diagram attached here, with some switching jacks I have on hand that might be useful.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• wiring diagram copy.jpg
    wiring diagram copy.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 18
Although I've never tested it, the Sproing should work fine running on 12V.

The opamps can handle it and having more headroom won't be a negative. The Belton Brick runs on it's own 5V regulator so there should be no issues there.

You'll possibly want to increase the value of the LED current limiting resistor (if you're using the onboard LED) to accommodate the higher supply voltage.

Alternatively, you could add a 9V regulator to your box to drop the 12V down to 9V, but that really shouldn't be necessary.

One more question- can the ground pads on the In and Out of the Sproing be left empty? I'm running the main ground from the board to the DC Jack and then to the input sleeve to allow for battery switching. The output just goes to amp board (which is also grounded to the same DC Jack). That makes these additional grounds redundant then, ya?

Yep, those are optional ground points for the jacks. As long as the board has a ground connection those aren't required.

Just came by to confirm that it works with 12V. This pedal is the perfect one-knob reverb to build into a cigar box amp! Love that there's a little slapback delay in there too.

Back