Squidward (1590B enclosure)

ThatDude

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hi all. I've been trying to get more active by posting and interacting with the members of this community. I've been creeping, ermm I mean observing for a while. There's a lot to learn here, and a lot of really knowledgable members. I am glad to be here and thanks to everyone who is willing to share what they know. This will be my first build report, and hopefully not the last. So let's talk about this Squidward I finished up recently. I've had this PCB for a few months and I think its size has made me keep pushing it off. Not that I don't appreciate the smaller boards that have less components, but for some reason I tend to grab the boards that have more components and that will be keep me busy for longer. I decided that it was time to populate this sucker and see what it is all about. Given its smaller size I wanted to use a smaller enclosure than a 125B. It just felt like the board was swimming in a 125B. So I ordered a 1590A enclosure. After trying to configure everything to fit in the 1590A enclosure and staring at it for a few hours like Zoolander trying to get into a computer, I decided the 1590A was not for me, not for this build at least. So I moved up to a 1590B. The 1590B sits somewhere between the 125B and the 1590A in terms of internal volume, and it felt like a more appropriate enclosure for this PCB. I top mounted the DC Jack and input/output jacks, carefully measuring to make sure the right spacing was used. When deciding what LED to use, green felt Squidwardish. I have a couple of obnoxiously big 10mm LEDs that I have from a project I had worked on a few years ago. I have been waiting for the right moment to use one of them in a pedal. The lack of controls makes the Squidward a good candidate for this I think. For the enclosure art work, I requested Microsoft Designer AI create me an image of an angry looking Octopus. I took part of the image, and etched it onto the enclosure using Omtech etching spray and my 10w diode laser. To be honest, the pedal look tougher than it probably should considering how quirky and light-hearted the effect actually sounds. It does sound pretty good going into a fuzz or heavy distortion though. All in all, this one was a fun one.

P.S. I've been hunting for metal footswitch washers, but haven't found any locally. I am going to break down and order some online and pay shipping. In the meantime, white nylon washer haters can keep on hating. I have no regrets!

image5.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

Back