DEMO Super '64 (JHS SuperBolt) - Demo added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Last build report for today. This one I buttoned up earlier today.

This is another board that I have been eyeing for a while. I finally grabbed it during one of the recent coupon sales. It was destined for my "big pile 'o' boards that I'll get to someday" when I saw @Dan0h 's post of his Super 64 build and his comparisons to his Supro Black Magik amp.

It inspired me and got the board bumped up to the top of the list. Very glad it did!
I love how it sounds! And it DOES do the Supro thing quite well.

The last Supro amp I played was a '64 Super (ironic name considering the board hahaha).
That thing was KILLER sounding! A 5 watt, single ended class A amp a single knob..."Volume".

I bought the amp as a parting gift for my old boss when he left the company we worked for 4 or 5 years ago. (We were like besties)

This pedal definitely cops that amp vibe really well. So much so that I really want a Supro amp now hahaha.

I first fired it up with my 50's Tele and cranked out a bunch of riffs from Led Zeppelin I and II.
Then tried it with the SG for some riffs from Zoso and Physical Graffiti.

As mentioned in the Dan's thread, the gain toggle is super subtle. It does make a difference if you have the gain cranked up close to noon. Hitting the gain toggle will push it into a gated sounding drive.

I'm liking it with the gain around 11 o'clock for the Zep riffing I've been stuck on today.... :ROFLMAO: .

I guess it's an older board as it did not have the pads for SMD 201's. So I had to use the little JFET adapter boards from @Robert for the MMBFJ201's I used.
I biased all 3 JFETS to 1/2 of Vcc and haven't messed with it anymore as it sounds pretty darn good.

Super simple build, low component count. @Harry Klippton you'd love this one!

Demo TBD....

I used one of the cool "Pro" powdercoated enclosures from @StompBoxParts. This one is call Matte Pink but there's a slight bit of texture to it that makes it almost look like it's ceramic. Really neat!
Looks like a big stick of Bazooka Bubble gum.....hahahaha

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

Last build report for today. This one I buttoned up earlier today.

This is another board that I have been eyeing for a while. I finally grabbed it during one of the recent coupon sales. It was destined for my "big pile 'o' boards that I'll get to someday" when I saw @Dan0h 's post of his Super 64 build and his comparisons to his Supro Black Magik amp.

It inspired me and got the board bumped up to the top of the list. Very glad it did!
I love how it sounds! And it DOES do the Supro thing quite well.

The last Supro amp I played was a '64 Super (ironic name considering the board hahaha).
That thing was KILLER sounding! A 5 watt, single ended class A amp a single knob..."Volume".

I bought the amp as a parting gift for my old boss when he left the company we worked for 4 or 5 years ago. (We were like besties)

This pedal definitely cops that amp vibe really well. So much so that I really want a Supro amp now hahaha.

I first fired it up with my 50's Tele and cranked out a bunch of riffs from Led Zeppelin I and II.
Then tried it with the SG for some riffs from Zoso and Physical Graffiti.

As mentioned in the Dan's thread, the gain toggle is super subtle. It does make a difference if you have the gain cranked up close to noon. Hitting the gain toggle will push it into a gated sounding drive.

I'm liking it with the gain around 11 o'clock for the Zep riffing I've been stuck on today.... :ROFLMAO: .

I guess it's an older board as it did not have the pads for SMD 201's. So I had to use the little JFET adapter boards from @Robert for the MMBFJ201's I used.
I biased all 3 JFETS to 1/2 of Vcc and haven't messed with it anymore as it sounds pretty darn good.

Super simple build, low component count. @Harry Klippton you'd love this one!

Demo TBD....

I used one of the cool "Pro" powdercoated enclosures from @StompBoxParts. This one is call Matte Pink but there's a slight bit of texture to it that makes it almost look like it's ceramic. Really neat!
Looks like a big stick of Bazooka Bubble gum.....hahahaha

View attachment 56804

View attachment 56805

That’s a beauty. Can’t wait for a demo

Nice build! It’s gorgeous. Swap the 120k resistor on the high/low gain toggle for a 39k and the difference will be more distinct. :cool:

Did you notice it sounds pretty good with trim pots as they came and that dialing in the bias by ear was super easy? Or did you measure and adjust from there. Those testing points on the newer designed pedals sure make measuring a breeze. On my build I just went by ear.

Did you notice it sounds pretty good with trim pots as they came and that dialing in the bias by ear was super easy? Or did you measure and adjust from there. Those testing points on the newer designed pedals sure make measuring a breeze. On my build I just went by ear.
I biased by voltage. I think VCC was 18.44v and I biased all 3 JFETs to 9.21-9.22v. It sounded so good that I didn't bother tweaking it any further.

Back