Swiss Army Fuzz: Universal Tone Bender MKII/Fuzz Face Board

Looks like I'm gonna have to give DipTrace a shot. I googled how to do that in Eagle and couldn't really find anything useful or easy enough a dumb like me could understand.

Thanks!

Here are the mockups of my Tonebender, Ge Fuzz Face and Si Fuzz Face using this board:

77406E0B-CFEE-469E-9003-A02A589C1E8B.jpeg FA93BAF2-CB2A-4474-85AB-45204D9F0598.jpeg

Inside is going to be very tight. If I had it to do again, I’d have used right angle alpha PCB pots ala Pedal PCB. I’ll still be fine but the jacks are sitting ready get on top of the board.

Last edited:
After doing a mock-up last night with the 9mm Alpha PCB pots on the board, I decided I’m going to put in another order to JLCPCB so that I can use normal 16mm Alpha PCB mounted pots al Pedal PCB.

I was going to have clearance issues to the jacks and I’m not comfortable with how much stress the pots need to be subjected to to mount in the enclosure. I’m not sure if I was off just a touch with my pad placements but things are not lining up as easily as I would have like and the 16mm pots will give me more play.

Okay.

So I was able to get the prototype wire up today. I purposely used leftover parts and whatever else I had because I did not want to waste parts if the circuit did not work.

I also chose to use flying leads off the board and no mechanicals so I could just set it on top of my 1590DD breadboard environment and use the built in switching and mechanicals from that.

Fire it up and Viola! Worked first time. I’ll post some pictures shortly but this is good news for the 3 builds I have planned.

Only error I made in the layout (and that I missed on the latest iteration coming from JLCPCB with the 16mm RA PCB pot pads) is that I have all the power filtering upstream of the power input pad. Dummy move but a very small drill hole will allow me to tap upstream of the filter cap and tie it in there.

5600A7C1-837D-4EE9-862C-7D0F9B4BEB0C.jpeg

Pots are mount on top so the travel is backwards. I have all the trim pots installed but I’m not sure I will for full build outs. I also don’t think the term blocks will go in the finished builds but I haven’t decided yet.

I didn’t install base to collector ceramics because I have a low inventory of the values I need for the next three builds but they can just get jumped into the term blocks for testing.

So, I think a final revision will be in order and I’m thinking of offering the base design to @PedalPCB

I’ll use my incoming boards with the modification to the power supply input for my own circuits. Everything in the design functions perfectly. All three collector trims work great, the trim on the Rc3a and Rc3b string allows you to dial in output volume, etc.

I’ll type up some notes and installation manual and maybe this board can hit the big time.

In the continuing saga of the Universal Fuzz Board: Got the new crop of 5 boards in today and they were Green! Dang. Seems like a silly thing to be upset about but these are better looking in Black.

So, I am going to correct a few errors that were outstanding, add collector voltage test pads, and add extra pads for caps that can be either electros or film.

Full volume testing occured today and the cap choices are finalized!:

Cin = 6.8 uf
Cout = 0.01 uf
Ctb = 0.0027 uf
Cbc1 = 470 pf
Cbc2 = 200 pf
Cbc3 = 200 pf

Going to wire them in tonight and prep my 4 shielded wire runs.

So, after a few days of messing around with this, I realized that the B-C caps on all three transistors did NOT reduce the high end as much as I perceived at low volume. Cranking it up the past few days has shown it to be a touch ragged and brittle in the high end. Furthermore, reducing Ctb (treble bleed cap on the input) down as low as i did has also promoted the pedal slipping into feedback a bit to easy, and if I'm being honest, shrilly for my tastes.

Tonight some time I think I'll go in and make a few changes:

1.) Change out the fixed side of the Rc2 resistor/trimmer string with 47k and expand the range of the control.
2.) Swap Ctb back to 0.01 uf
3.) Change Ce back to 4.7 uf

After a few more days of testing, i should have a better idea if that's good enough. Worst case scenario, if the pedal needs some more "ass", I'll swap in a 10 uf for Cin.

In related news, Silicon Fuzz Face breadboarding is underway. I was having some issues with oscillation and while I'm not 100% satisfied yet, a 2200 pF capacitor across the feedback resistor squashed it without affecting the high end too much. It's a work in progress, as I am trying to balance my Strat with humbuckers (humbuckers a bit lower than my LP and guitar a bit snappier) with my Les Paul (humbuckers at "normal" heights, fuller sounding) and the Fuzz Face can be notoriously wooly.

Didn't realise you were a Titanius Giganticus

Great-sounding FuZz.

Thank you!

I spend a great deal of time tuning these before boxing them up. Plus, I’ve been testing and tweaking Mk II circuits on the breadboard for a few years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
Back