Synth Newbie Question - Signal chain...

EGRENIER

OK, so this may be a stupid question, but I couldn't answer it through research...

Context: I have a few work team members that are into Synth and music. They have been working very hard over the last year and I was thinking of building a few pedals and offer them as a thank you for their efforts.

However, I had a chat with them and now that I understand their setup, I'm puzzled as how does PPCB members are routing the signal when using a synth. In a nutshell here's what I understand of their setup:

They run a USB Keyboard to their computer.
They use a DAW software with Synth module such as FL Studio or Abelton
They simply output the computer analog audio signal to speakers. (no amps involved)

So my research pointed me toward a AD/DA converter, but they are awfully expensive and of course I wouldn't want to give them a gift that forces them to spend more money than the pedal is really worth...

My question, in their current setup, is there a simple affordable way to use external effects pedals ?

Thanks you for you patience and for using words I can understand in your response ;)

Something like a re-amplifier should work:

I built one recently and haven't had a reason to use it yet, but that's it's thing: taking a line out from an interface and making it play nicely with pedals.

Something like a re-amplifier should work:

I built one recently and haven't had a reason to use it yet, but that's it's thing: taking a line out from an interface and making it play nicely with pedals.

Thanks, but looking at this it seems to sit only between a keyboard audio output and an amp... From my understanding they would need something that can take the computer output signal, run it through a pedal chain and pump it back to the computer for the DAW to use it as an input channel... this is where I get lost...

I've had good result without a re-amp box in the past just using a spare IN and OUT on my interface to act as a SEND/RETURN for eternal effect.
Then again, it depends on the effect as some will take a Line signal better than others.
Ableton as the "External Audio Effect" for precisely this application, with dedicated input and output gain + dry/wet control.
Capture d’écran 2021-07-20 à 20.06.25.png

Would something like this do the job to allow a computer to have a second audio output used as a effect loop ?

1626885047308.png

And a set of cables like this:

1626885248502.png

I would imagine the software needs to be able to recognise and be set up for multiple ins/outs, otherwise it'll ignore the extra in/out or worse, get confused and throw a conniption.

I would imagine the software needs to be able to recognise and be set up for multiple ins/outs, otherwise it'll ignore the extra in/out or worse, get confused and throw a conniption.

That's exactly what I understand from @SYLV9ST9R post. Good news is, I had a chat with my team member and he already use a multi channel audio interface, so it looks like it wouldn't even need a new interface... just some cables...

Back