TC1 tester readings

pcb rookie

I've been using the TC1 tester to check all components in preparation for all my builds. The res and caps is pretty strait forward.

As for the transistors, I have been measuring/using the hFE but the tester also providing the Ube (mV) and Ic (mA). If we use use 2N5088 for example. Does it provide me with the leakage? Are Ube and Ic relevant data I should consider when mesearing Transistors?

hFE = 586
Ube = 669mV
Ic = 2.9mA
(VBat@4.11v)

Same goes for diodes, in this case i'm totally confused when trying to compare reading measures to the data sheet or vF provided by the seller to see if it fall with in expected tolerance. Also trying to identify what relevant in the case of pedal circuit.

BAT46
Uf = 375mV
C = 10pF
Ir = 78nA

www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/BAT46/691867

1N34A (STI)
Uf = 419mV
Ir = 0.55uA

sold as Vf .25. - .27 range - 60v, 30mV

www.pedalhackerelectronics.com/1N34A-NOS-Germanium-Diode-ITT-1N34-p/1n34a-10itt.htm

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3477.jpeg
    IMG_3477.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: fig
Hi,

A 2N5088 is s silicon transistor and therefore will not have leakage. Germanium transistors do.

Silicon diodes will usually have an average value for forward voltage, but again germanium is unstable so it can vary with temperature, age, and the breakdown of the insulator (someone check me on that statement).
You usually match a germanium sample to a circuit rather than the other-way-round.

Last edited:
Hi,

A 2N5088 is s silicon transistor and therefore will not have leakage. Germanium transistors do.
Good point! So let take GT404B transistor for examples. Here are the readings I'm getting from TC1. Is the leakage Ice?

hFE = 91
Une = 118mV
Ic = 1.2mA
Ibe = .26m
Ices=14uA

So in the case of the reading I get from the GT404B (14uA) is very low right as target is to be under 300 ... i'm I being correct?

hFE = 91
Une = 118mV
Ic = 1.2mA
Ibe = .26m
Ices=14uA

Don't handle the transistors prior to measuring...or wait a couple minutes before measuring. They are very sensitive to temperature change, which is part of their charm and usefulness in a guitar pedal.

Is the target in uA or mA?
I read my last message and I not even certain I understand my own questions:unsure: ....so please allow me re-phrase it:

I'm I right to assume that 14uA is low when it comes to transistors leakage? What would be considered a usable leakage range for germanium transistor in general?

I read my last message and I not even certain I understand my own questions:unsure: ....so please allow me re-phrase it:

I'm I right to assume that 14uA is low when it comes to transistors leakage? What would be considered a usable leakage range for germanium transistor in general?

Yes. That’s very low.

Usable range is a loaded question, some circuits require leaky transistors, others not so much, when using GE Transistors, you need to know the circuits requirements

Last edited:
Ok so i'm good as far as transistors go but for diodes, I'm still confused on what I should be interpreting our find relevant out of the readings on the TC1 when trying to compare either to the data sheet or the Vf value on the sellers web site. I hope my questioning ain't silly!

BAT46 TC1 readings : Uf = 375mV / C = 10pF / Ir = 78nA

1N34A (STI) TC1 readings: Uf = 419mV / Ir = 0.55uA

"sold as Vf .25. - .27 range - 60v, 30mV"

www.pedalhackerelectronics.com/1N34A-NOS-Germanium-Diode-ITT-1N34-p/1n34a-10itt.htm
Usable range is loaded question, some circuits require leaky transistors, others not so much, when using GE Transistors, you need to know the circuits requirements
got it! That's clear! Thanks!

Ok so i'm good as far as transistors go but for diodes, I'm still confused on what I should be interpreting our find relevant out of the readings on the TC1 when trying to compare either to the data sheet or the Vf value on the sellers web site. I hope my questioning ain't silly!

BAT46 TC1 readings : Uf = 375mV / C = 10pF / Ir = 78nA

1N34A (STI) TC1 readings: Uf = 419mV / Ir = 0.55uA

"sold as Vf .25. - .27 range - 60v, 30mV"

got it! That's clear! Thanks!
Measure Vf with a multimeter not the TC1

Back