The Fat Sandwich

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
It's Way Huge!
Well, sorta. 5 knobs and only one of them does much of anything, unless you roll the guitar volume down. I'm baffled as to what Jorge Tripps had in mind, unless it's all an elaborate practical joke. Steve picked this one up on eBay, sent it to me, then I tested and traced it. Except for a few resistor values, the schematic matches the trace found on FSB. If you find the schematic below confusing, you're not alone. D2, D3 & D5 do nothing because there is never enough signal at that point to turn them on. C11 is shorted out by the HIGHS trimpot, which is more of a gain control than a treble control. C12 is too small to do anything audible. Ditto for R8 & C10. C8 is redundant since C6 & C13 provide DC blocking. The input impedance is 15K at mid and high freq, so it loads the guitar quite a bit. There is no input buffering on the I/O board. The 1st stage (Q2 & Q3) has 12dB gain and runs clean. Bass is rolled off below 100Hz. The 2nd stage (Q4) may look familiar, it's essentially a carbon copy of the DS-1 2nd stage. The gain from input to Q4-C is 40dB at 1KHz and is easily driven to saturation, just like in the DS-1. The 3rd stage (IC1) uses a CMOS opamp, similar to the CA3130. The two yellow LEDs (D4 & D6) in the feedback loop provide some clipping, but since the 2nd stage is overdriving the opamp, the 3rd stage is also easily driven to saturation, even with DISTORTION at zero. The tone network that follows has around 35dB attenuation, which leaves around 120mVp-p at the "clipping" diodes D2, D3 & D5. Not nearly enough to drive them to conduction. The signal is further attenuated by the TONE control and HIGHS trimpot before getting to the CMOS inverter 5th & 6th stages. IMHO, the one clever part of the circuit is the last two stages. Mr. Tripps wisely installed a current limiting resistor, R14 to drop the CD4049's power down to a reasonable voltage. 4000-series CMOS inverters perform better in analog applications, and use less power, when powered by 4 to 5 volts. Part of the clever thing he did was to use all six inverters in the package, paralleling them up for more output current and using 100Ω resistors to help balance the currents. Like the 2nd & 3rd stages, the last stage is easily driven to saturation, even with the DRIVE trimpot turned all the way down.

I have a modified version on a breadboard, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Way Huge Fat Sandwich WHE-301.png

Fat Sandwich innards 02.jpg

Last edited:
It's ok, but doesn't do anything that a lot of other dirt pedals don't do. With distortion happening in three places, it's easy for the tone to get very congested. You have to back the guitar volume down to get it to clean up enough for chords. The various tone control knobs become more useful with the guitar volume backed off. My biggest complaint about the performance is the lack of a Tone control after the last distortion stage.

Last edited:
Wow there’s a whole lot going on here!

My biggest complaint about the performance is the lack of a Tone control after the last distortion stage.
Sounds like some surgery is in progress…im imagining removing the current tone network and adding a different one after the last gain stage is what the doc ordered…

I've seen some youtube demos and it seemed like the distortion knob really didn't make much of a difference at all.

I thought the Fat Sandwich was some kind of Neve console preamp mixed with a Green Rhino, but I guess that was the Pork Loin? I've heard both are good for bass guitar.

heya, here are the AC sweeps for different settings of the potentiometers; using your tracing up here,
AC sweeps, V, I and waveforms are the same when C10, C11, R8 and C15 are jumped.
same for when C12, R10, D2, D3 and D5 are omitted.
Very slight difference in the high end when C8 is jumped (C12 in the last picture here).
Good catch @Chuck D. Bones ! I like the sound of this thing but yeh, odd design I must say!
WH301 AC SWEEP_Page_1.jpg WH301 AC SWEEP_Page_2.jpg WH301 AC SWEEP_Page_3.jpg WH301 AC SWEEP_Page_4.jpg WH301 AC SWEEP_Page_5.jpg WH301 AC SWEEP_Page_6.jpg

Back