"The Project" (WEM Project V clone)

Bret608

Imagine an era where the big secret thing our governments were working on was the most intense fuzztone of its day! If only, right? I've had this board since 2014 and have finally gotten around to boxing it. My daughter got me this lovely aqua Rustoleum for my birthday and that was the impetus. This is an eight-transistor fuzz monster, based on the famous Project V of Brian Eno fame. I highly recommend this and know that deadendfx still have a board available, but maybe PPCB has interest? This one came from a group buy on Madbean by twinspace, who I think doesn't frequent the forums anymore.

Anyway, it sounds like a Big Muff meets Fuzz Factory through a cocked wah. I noticed Ian Sherwen of Ghost Effects occasionally makes these with germanium for the PNP transistor (Q5), so I tried it with a 2n5087 and a high gain/low leakage OC47 black glass with 228 hfe. It sounds great either way, but the germanium was somehow smoother/less crackly on the note decay while also having crazier harmonics and overtones. Oh yeah, the NPN silicon are all BC549b at about 360 hfe (similar to the original BC108 in terms of gain). I love how it gushes with sustain and weird bloom as the notes decay! I can't claim to understand the schematic, but those drive and edge switches do make it go even crazier.

I'll switch those knobs for something that covers the labels less at some point, lol...the decal on this one was a struggle all around!

Attachments

• The Project_Exterior.jpg
    The Project_Exterior.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 23
  • The Project_Interior.jpg
    The Project_Interior.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 23
Nice! I am working on a Vero board of this circuit right now. I had never heard of it but I was sold after I heard about the Eno affiliation. Great build report and pedal! Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Reactions: fig
Thanks to you both! I've seen that vero and it looks intense, so hats off to you for taking that one on. For mods, two I could picture would be the drive switch on a footswitch and the second trimmer (the Q5 one) as an external knob (as suggested by Ghost Effects in the build doc for a short PCB run he did).

Reactions: fig
Back