The (un)Original Gangster | [ J ]

jessenator

You wake up from a blackout
Your hands are tied
Your kidnappers look down
One in a fancy checkered suit addresses you directly

"You've made your last delivery kid. Sorry you got twisted up in this scene. From where you're kneeling it must seem like an 18-carat run of bad luck. Truth is… the game was rigged from the start."

A 9mm bullet pierces your skull
Fade to black

YAWgVbw.jpg

1dX1Q2I.jpg

Benny is a prime archetype of stolen valor; usurping the leader of the Mojave Boot-Riders, he gladly suckled the milk of Mr. House's 'kindness' in order to escape a life of raiding and hard survival. Little did House know his erstwhile protege would be plotting to take the throne of New Vegas for himself.

This is a modified OD-1 by way of the Clark Gainster. I started with Boss' rev 2 schematic and took what I wanted from the latter …except that 2W resistor. Maybe someone smarted can tell me why that's in the Gainster's BOM. Added a few other alterations care of @Guardians of the analog and @jwin615

There's a bit of character from this circuit I don't get from an SD-1. In the tinkering process on the breadboard, I originally intended the single diode in the asymmetrical clipping section to be a red LED. When I finally got around do making a proper build, I thought to test the combo one more time. The LED had a strange low-frequency sizzle that I both hadn't noticed before and didn't care for, so I opted for three 1N914s in the end. I'm quite satisfied with the tone.

OpAfmKb.jpg

yLJOxjo.jpg

upbZCvw.jpg

LINT. LINT EVERYWHERE! I live in a very dry climate, and with winter on, so too is the forced air furnace. No matter how I tried, I could not get all the lint off. The main photo was touched up ONLY so it didn't look like printing errors. I think the glossy black doesn't help. Maybe matte black is in order next time.

Speaking of errors… I opted for the enclosure masking service, and while it did leave the inside free of overspray, there was one section which got missed or inadequate powder coating. Also, it's not apparent in the photos, but there was some weird surface level scratches/scuff patch, which was very odd, but again, thankfully not blatant in the photos.

On the plus side, I can confirm that adjusting the tint percentage of the RDG_WHITE spot color in Illustrator nets a decent grayscale. As with most things, your mileage may vary.

I'm working on upping my wiring game. Still using pre-bond stranded wire from Small Bear, but maybe I'll try solid, even if it is brutally unforgiving. Who knows.

As always, thanks for looking.

thumb:
YAWgVbwt.jpg

Last edited:
SUPER SLICK BUILD! killer build report too. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. The artwork on the pedal is top notch. Very well designed. Great stuff. Thanks for posting
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Build
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Build Report.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the report. And great job on the inside and out. Very clever all around. *slow clap*
🙏🙏🙏 Thank you! I had a lot of fun with this one. I kind of make that my top priority.

Back