This Week on the Breadboard: The JHF-3 "Band of Gypsies" Fuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about that too (the JFET, not the bird calls). I haven't tried it yet, but a JFET or MOSFET might work for Q3. We'd need to fiddle the biasing somehow. I ran some sims and the gain is lower with either FET compared to a BJT. Not surprising.

Last edited:
Asking questions is a good thing.

I recommend you leave those three parts as-is. C11 has a strong influence on the freq response, gain and dynamics. 22uF appears to be the sweet spot.

R2, R3 & R4 set the bias for the entire circuit. If you make R2 bigger (or R3 smaller), then Q3-C goes up.

Q1, Q2 & Q3 are DC-coupled. That means their bias points are linked to each other. R5 & R9 form a negative feedback loop around all three transistors. That feedback loop stabilizes the bias point and also controls the AC gain. Q3-C is about 1.1V higher than Q1-B. You can't measure Q1-B directly because the meter will disturb the circuit. If you want to experiment with the bias, I suggest that you breadboard it as drawn and play it a while. Then trade R2 & R3 and listen to it again. The harmonic content and the note decay will be different.

Most of the components interact, in ways that it took me a while to figure out. You change anything and the results might surprise you. That was my experience anyway.

Last edited:
Ill do just that, breadboard it and play with it then see what changing the bias does.

Seems like every component plays an important role and the circuit is sensitive to change. Sounds like a fun one to experiment with!

Ill do just that, breadboard it and play with it then see what changing the bias does.

Seems like every component plays an important role and the circuit is sensitive to change. Sounds like a fun one to experiment with!
Just make sure you only change one component at a time and make small steps, otherwise it's easy to get lost.

After a few days of trying this and that on the breadboard, I have something I like.
I added a FAT switch up front and a TONE knob at the end.
View attachment 59032

Enclosure can be found here:

C.D.B Gypsies Fuzz Mockup Pedal.jpg

Great idea.

Rip out the guts, house them in a smaller enclosure and flip it on eBay/Reverb/Kajiji/Etc.

"Reduce wasted space on your pedalboard — REHOUSED FUZZ FACE for sale..."

Then you've got yourself a big round enclosure that... wait a minute...
Yeah I just meant that $130 for an enclosure is far from a competitive price when you don't even have to source parts for $169.... Square is definitely a much more affordable form factor!!!!! Plus the whole round peg in a square hole on the pedalboard......

Yeah I just meant that $130 for an enclosure is far from a competitive price when you don't even have to source parts for $169.... Square is definitely a much more affordable form factor!!!!! Plus the whole round peg in a square hole on the pedalboard......
Dude, I heerd yah the foist tahm! I was just being my usual mischievous frivolous clowning self.

or if you prefer

Never take my posts too seriously. However...

Honestly, seriously, I want to get one or two of the Mini Fuzz Faces plus a big one and do exactly what I described — transfer the guts and sell the rehoused circuits to recoup some of the dosh 'cause those big FF-enclonesures are expawnsseeff — and I don't think I could even find the Mini-FF enclosures in the DIY market — so I gotta buy and use the emptied FF enclosures for my own nefarious purposes. Seriously, I've been keeping an eye out especially for the Mini on the used-market but thems that haves them think they're made out of SoLiD gOLd...

If space is a factor...
View attachment 59216
"If space is a factor..."

...then the enclosure can be a LOT larger.​
2810392f469f023d28074c89f321ce6d.jpg
Larger than this pic. Something so large that James Webb would be proud.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back