This Week on the Breadboard: The JHF-3 "Band of Gypsies" Fuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
I really should have listened to the demos first. This thing is so bottom-heavy that Dunlop ought to call it the "Kim Kardashian Fuzz." Humbuckers? Fugeddabouddit! P90s are too thick for this biatch. I tried it with my Tele and the bridge pickup is still too boomy for my tastes. The dynamics, harmonic structure and note decay are pretty sweet. If Roger Mayer says this is what Jimi used at the Fillmore East on New Years 1970, I have to believe him. I'm not posting a schematic because the ones I've found have a few resistor values that seem sketchy. If anybody has one to trace, I'd be interested in verifying a few component values. The basic design is very similar to the Axis Fuzz. The JHF-3 kicks the gain up a notch by changing some resistor values and adding an emitter-follower 2nd stage. I have yet to find a good way to substantially reduce the bass response without changing it to the point that it's not a JHF-3 anymore. This thing might make a really good bass fuzz. I do like the basic design, so I haven't given up just yet. One cool feature of this circuit is I can change the last stage from Si to Ge with no resistor changes and the bias is still dead-on.

This is it with a Ge 3rd stage.

Band of Gypsies Fuzz JHF-3 breadboard 02.jpg

Last edited:
SMD...the orange to the JHF-3s apple. I'll see if I can find one of those for a reasonable price.

Edit: $400 is seemingly the street price....seems a tad steep for a dozen components I have laying around, but I've learned one thing...you can't have mojo AND money....or was it you can't have money and....never mind, I don't want to go off-topic....I know how that sticks in yer craw.

Last edited:
After a few days of trying this and that on the breadboard, I have something I like.
I added a FAT switch up front and a TONE knob at the end.

Band of Gypsies Fuzz cb mod v0.2 breadboard 02.jpg

I didn't change very much. Replaced the input cap with three caps on a toggle switch so I could tighten up the bass if I wanted. Reduced C8 from 22uF to 10uF to tighten up the bass a little more. I swapped R2 & R3 to make the clipping more symmetric. Try it either way and see which you like better. I swapped in a Ge transistor for Q3. Silicon sounds hotter. MP38A has a little less gain and has a smoother top end. Reduced R10 to improve the high freq response when FUZZ is dimed. Added the TONE pot. On the schematics I found on the 'net, the VOLUME pot is 500K. I see no reason for it to be that large other than to mimic the 500K VOLUME pot in the original Fuzz Face. Plenty of volume, a moderate amount of gain, smooth note decay. Excellent dynamics and touch sensitivity, good volume clean-up. Any high-gain, low-noise Si transistors will work for Q1 & Q2. You can use low-gain Si, high-gain Si or Ge for Q3.

Band of Gypsies Fuzz cb mod v0.2.png

Last edited:
What hfe for Q3 should I be looking for?

I don't know if it matters much, I picked one at random for my breadboard. I measured it just now... HFE = 79 @ 1mA; Iceo = 200μA. These are not "magic" values. With no signal, Q3-C is around 5.4V. Again, not a magic number, just a ballpark to tell you the circuit is working. The bias point bounces around quite a bit when you play thru this circuit, that's normal.

Not necessarily more harmonics. The shifting bias causes the harmonic content to vary as the instantaneous volume changes. The effect is similar to amplifier sag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back